1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Dead Graphics?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by theevilelephant, 30 Sep 2011.

1. theevilelephant

theevilelephant Minimodder

Turned my pc on last night and was greeted by two blank monitors. After checking the connections between monitor and pc, and finding nothing wrong I took look inside. When I press the power button the graphics card fan twiches briefly but doesnt spin up, I've tried a new power cable from a different output (modular psu) and reseating the gpu. Neither had any noticable effect.

Hardware is a C2D 2.13Ghz, Asus P5B Deluxe, 4Gb GSkill Memory and 8800GTS 640.

I'm trying to find a spare graphics card and psu to try to figure out the problem. Any other suggestions?

To be perfectly honest I intended on getting a new pc in the near future anyway but I'd quite like to have my current one working in order to transfer stuff off and make a note of various settings/installed programs.

2. Lassar

Lassar Lean Mean Fighting Machine !

Could also be a motherboard issue? Prob best to try the card in a mates PC if possible 1st? Could save a lot of trouble.

theevilelephant likes this.
  3. short1uk

short1uk Minimodder

PSU - can you test it? Does the machine go on then off? Its PSU more than likely. Esp if it doesn't beep or anything but does try to start.

Could also be a short on the MB - have seen a machine work fine on its side then stand it up and it blows the new psu every time!

Catherine

theevilelephant likes this.
  4. theevilelephant

I haven't tested the PSU but the PC does power up; fans come on, hard-drives spin up and all the normal motherboard lights come on. I have recently (a month ago) moved my pc onto it's side.

I tried the graphics card in a friends pc and it didn't work. So either it is the card or the PSU/Motherboard broke the card, I will try and find a spare graphics card to test it out with.

5. theevilelephant

I managed to borrow another graphics card and it boots up fine, guess it was just the broken graphics card :) Thanks all

6. TheJackal

TheJackal Getting Old

had an 8800 myself suffered the same thing after much fiddling and looking around the net turns out a good few 8800 bit the dust this way

7. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

mine did the same thing 2 weeks ago... bit the dust overnight

8. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Get a replacement or partial refund...

http://forums.bit-tech.net/showthread.php?t=217849

I'm yet to write the section about the Sale of Goods Act 1979 (as amended) but I have a template letter to use in the second post of that thread if your goods are faulty six months after you purchased them. Which I'm assuming this GPU is! It's worth the trouble just to see what can be claimed back from the retailer.