1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice dead OS

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by disturbed13, 14 May 2012.

1. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

okay so ive been running windows Vista 64-bit
    (Core 2 Quad CPU, 4 GB RAM, 1 TB HDD)
    on friday i ran all of my antivirus, spyware, and maleware removal programs
    after that was done i defraged my HDD Friday Night
    when i got up saturday morning optimized my HDD and went to work for 12 hrs
    (both of those options is offered by JKDefrag/MyDefrag [i cant remember what its called right now])
    when i got home everything was still running, and it was finished
    so i shut down my pc
    now i cannot get to my password screen for Vista
    if i select start windows normally it just keeps cycling over and over again
    it will flash a blue screen (no text) then the system will reboot
    if i select safe mode it starts to load all of the drivers
    (i see a long list scroll by)
    and then i see this V
    [​IMG]
    it sits at this driver for a bit, then it restarts

now i have performed a back up a couple of weeks before
    but what has me at my wits end is this
    i dont want to loose all of my product keys
    such as Vista, Office 2010, Octane Renderer ($119), all of my saved files
    all of the guides that i have made and saved
    and all of my tax info

so what should i do?
    should i go and get another HDD and do a fresh install on the new drive
    then try to do a restore
    and use the back up file that i did
    would that even work?
    how big of a HDD should i get?

or is there an easier way to fix my pc?
    i appreciate any help you guys can give me
    thanks

Last edited: 14 May 2012
  2. Deders

Deders Modder

It may be that something has corrupted along the way, It could be a hardware issue or it could be down to software. Did you restart your PC at all between the processes that you listed in the top paragraph?

The Crcdisk.sys file may not be loading, or it could have loaded and it's just the last file that loads in the sequence before something else goes wrong. Could you give us the stop code that appears when it blue screens?

3. sparkyboy22

sparkyboy22 Web Tinkerer

On Xp (I cant remember if its an option on Vista or 7) when you boot from the windows disk and choose to install it will find the existing windows install and offer a repair option.

If you get this option on vista it is definitely worth a go.

Of course its a good idea to back up the drive first but its also a good idea to have a backup in place at all times for this kind of issue.

4. Deders

Deders Modder

It would be wise to ascertain what the issue is before deciding the best way to recover important data.

5. disturbed13

the blue screen flashes for just a sec
    so it doesnt actually post an error code
    ill have to google how to repair Vista just to make sure
    thanks for the info guys :-D

6. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Repairing Windows effectively installs a clean version of the OS over the top of the existing OS, keeping all your other files intact. It does, however, mean that you'll lose any installed apps, settings etc. - so I'd use the repair just long enough to get into Windows, backup all your important stuff (apps, keys, docs etc.) before going back and doing a proper formatted clean install of Windows.

7. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

Did you install any updates from windows? Only asking as my laptop stopped booting with a very similar issue, and the hdd is dead in it now, but it showed no signs of this before it happened

8. matt_lumley

matt_lumley You're only supposed to...

First of all I'd stick in the Windows vista disk and get into system recovery (where you have options like system restore, system image, command prompt and start up repair) and try and use command prompt with:
    Sfc /scannow
    Or
    Chkdsk /f
    And see if they return anything useful.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

9. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

1. As others have said, try booting from your windows disc and see if the repair options can fix the boot issues.

2. If that doesn't work, don't panic. You won't have lost software licence keys you've paid for as you should be able to get those back from the publishers. Hopefully all your data is intact. It's likely your OS has just been borked but your data will still be there.

3a. (What I have done in the past) If you need to do a clean install. The safest option is to take out (unplug) the drive(s) with all your important data on and install the OS on a new/spare drive. You can then plug in your old drives and copy / paste your data across (You have permission issues but they are fixable).

3b. Another option is to to boot from a linux boot ISO and see if you can access your data from that, and then copy it to a USB device.

3c. A third option would be to try a windows install (or upgrade to win7) on top of your existing install. I wouldn't risk this myself, not on top of important data. But if you copied the non booting drive first (using drive image or similar) then you could work on a copy. I wouldn't run with this repaired OS personally but it'd be enough to get your recent data back.

3d. A fourth option is to plug the drive into another PC (A friend?) and copy the data off that way.

3e. Option 5 is to clean install onto a new drive and try getting stuff back from your backup. Personally I always prefer getting data restored from the live system rather than a backup, but if you have a backup you may end up needing it.

As to what size of drive. You may not need one, and if you do need one nobody can say whether your existing drive is fully recoverable (maybe it has a fault). I've always got spare drives around so if it was me I'd get things up and running on an older drive and then think about final setup once I knew my data was safe!

10. disturbed13

yeah, i think im just going to get a second drive the same size as my current one
    ive already backed up all of my saved info (the files that i made)
    but i still have no way of saving my program keys
    ill do a new install on another drive and then port all of my keys over that way
    before i do that ill try to use one of the backups that ive done
    thanks guys
    the wealth of info has been fantastic!!!

11. disturbed13

a couple of days ago yes
    the more i use windows
    the more i despise it!
    im afraid im turning into a Mac Fanboy :(
    if only i knew how to write drivers for Linux

12. Scorpuk

Scorpuk Minimodder

There are programs out there that will let you know what your product keys are.

Just search on google.

Deff there for office 2010 and should be there for vista, but not sure for Octane.

I've reinstalled windows 7 on a computer and didnt know which of the 3 keys belonged to that computer. Using the software gave me the right key.

If you need to gain access to the drive before you do anything a Linux Live CD is a fabulous tool. :)

13. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 Modder

produkey.exe is what we use in work, never had an issue with it :)