1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blogs Dear publishers, please just let me buy your game

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Dogbert666, 19 May 2015.

1. sandys

sandys Multimodder

don't see a problem with DLC personally, so long as the main game has all that is needed to provide an enjoyable experience in the base package and none of the DLC is required to complete a games main story, then its fine, perhaps it comes from my age , I have been gaming for 35 years, the prices of games has remained fairly constant really, I was paying £20-30 quid for games back then I pay little more now, when you consider a games size and complexity, the teams involved and salaries of those teams, money has to be made somewhere.

At least with DLC people who like the game can get more, those who aren't that enamored don't have to pay £90-130 a game for entry which would be the cost if prices I paid as a kid were adjusted for inflation. There are some games I would no be happy with if I was paying £130 for the full package. The number of games I bought in the past for my dough that were complete garbage, that never fulfilled the box promise, or could of benefited from some updates probably outweighed the number of good games I got, I think some one in this article is perhaps glossing over the tragedy of gaming in the 80/early 90s and how much better some things are now.

I thought Driveclub was pretty good, so I paid for its season pass as I wanted more, there was plenty in its main game for the money, a lot of people seemed to think it was 'meh' so those guys get what they want which is no more, they have had their fill, me I am still enjoying the extra stuff that comes out and the Devs get more dough, don't see issue with that.

Last edited: 8 Jun 2015
  2. Wwhat

Wwhat Minimodder

The reason I lost interest in games is because of all the crapware DRM stuff they now install, and the accompanying EULA that when you read them are just completely unacceptable.
    But because of that I'm spared a lot of the grief outlined in this article I suppose.
    I just can't envision agreeing to the EA 'service' required for games for instance, and I'm a bit perplexed about how many people do.
    And although I begrudgingly bear Steam I think they will slowly creep towards the really unacceptable too eventually. Things like an 'offline' mode where it not only insist on connecting to their servers anyway but they now even download client updates in 'offline' mode, I mean seriously, what the hell is that about?

But getting back to the article; I liked the analogy, it was sharp and to the point but not really over the top compared to the reality of the gaming world I think. Well done.

Tags: Add Tags