1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Debian founder Ian Murdock passes away aged 42

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 31 Dec 2015.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

2. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Seems rather suspicious, if you've experienced physical abuse at the hands of local police wouldn't you want to seek justice against the perpetrators rather than taking your own life.

From what I've read it seems the hashtag '#runnerkristy67,' could be his wifes Twitter account (it's spelt with a Y instead of an I), maybe he made a mistake, or maybe there really is something afoot as misspelling your wife's twitter account seems like something someone else would do. :worried:

3. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Looks like you're right: the @runnerkristi67 Twitter account is following Larry Murdock, an entomologist who matches the description of Ian's father. I'll add that to the piece, ta.

4. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Not necessarily. Sometimes people work towards a 'tragic outcome'. That he was drunk at the time of "knocking on a neighbour's door" and after release from hospital was re-arrested for trying to break into another house (not something you do if you just had the crap kicked out of you, no? You'd go home and lick your wounds) suggests that things are not exactly as he painted them.

As for the misspelling of @runnerkristi67: blame autocorrect?

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Yea from doing a little more digging it seems he may have been abusing drugs and was possibly an aspie, it's all rather sad really. :(

6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag What's a Dremel?

Abusing drugs/alcohol or not, it seems to me the police still used excessive force. I mean seriously, if the guy is inebriated how hard could it really be to just tackle him and cuff him?

7. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Is there any independent statement on the polices use of excessive force? Only reason i ask is it seems the only evidence was Ian Murdock saying it happened, at least that was the only evidence i read about.

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Exactly. He wouldn't be the first drunk to shout 'police brutality'. And if he was really so badly beaten, why was he later re-arrested trying to break on someone else's house? I mean, shouldn't he have still been in hospital or at least laid up at home?