1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding dedicated DivX player

Discussion in 'Modding' started by NiHiLiST, 23 Jan 2002.

1. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

Hey everyone. I'm sure a large number of you are familiar with DivX encoded video. For those that aren't, it's essentially the MP3 of films. Getting near DVD quality video onto 1 or 2 CDs is pretty damn good if you ask me :)

Anyway, back to the point. I'm seriously thinking about making a hardware DivX player out of PC bits. What's the best software out there for this purpose?

The only one I know of is DivxOS :rolleyes:

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

god knows about hardware divx - but if u want something to sit by your PC and play DVDs/VCDs/Mp3s/Divx etc then check this:

[​IMG]

link it up to a home network and rip files off your upstairs/whereever pc and play on your TV/hi-fi :) all you need is cpu/ram/harddisk/dvd.

its got tv out/firewire/lan audios crap from what i remember, but just stick a game theatre in it or an audigy and use up the 1 pci slot ;)

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

Neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeed! :D

4. bLiNdPyRo

bLiNdPyRo What's a Dremel?

Well I don't know a specific software to only play DivX as the purpose of one system, but I do watch a lot of anime encoded in DivX. I use www.sasami2k.com to play it.

5. nikon

nikon What's a Dremel?

hehe DIVX is my life.....ever heard of eMOTIONDVD???? yup im a member.....and of course nexusglobe that anyone can be a member.....check it out if you like divx :) broadband is pretty much a neccesity seeing as though a small vid is about 600 Mb.....even SMR is 300 Mb

6. UnLoadeD

UnLoadeD What's a Dremel?

All you need is mplayer2.exe and divx codecs installed. I prefer old mplayer to the new windows media player, its way to bloated. Also I prefer the divx 3.11 codec to the divx4 one. You should be able to find the codecs on google pretty easily.

peace.
    UnLoadeD

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

if i can find out from a m8 who's getting one that the psu does/doesnt have a fan then i may get one, and itll be the ultiamte system without ANY FANS MUHAHAH!! (providing the psu doesnt) i can leave it on all nite to download stuff :cool:

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

Ill have to do some minor surgery to it tho... even tho it does look purdy :D :cool:

9. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

Bindi there are indeed fanless, here is a review opiinoin etc...

http://www.viahardware.com/sv24_1.shtm

there are availible from www.overclockers.co.uk, under complete systems...

altho i will quote their blurb on it ;

10. danielod

danielod What's a Dremel?

I am looking into doing a divx/dvd box for my mum and dad was gonna use this

[​IMG]

as a base with a ASUS A7V133-VM mobo and a 1.4 ghz atlon chip to make sure no probs with decoding the divx :D

reckon would look sweet stashed next to the telly.

Dan

11. Sim0n

Sim0n rm -rf /

Hmmm, looks like it could be turned into a nice little LAN game server, or as bindi suggests a file server that is silent and cna be left on.

ADVICE : i would personal run a VIA C3 CPU in it, not great for gaming, but would run a game server OK, and due to the heat of the intels, many places i have read reviews on state that C3 CPU are much better in these.