1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Dedicated Football Manager build

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Dean R, 3 Nov 2013.

1. Dean R

Dean R What's a Dremel?

I have a friend who wants me to build him a PC for the new football manager game. He will obviously need it for other browsing and word processing but he says he doesn't need it for any other games as he plays xbox. This is the only pc game he plays.

So taking that into account in thinking of putting the majority of his money into his processor. A bit into graphics. He won't need a particularly great case or motherboard so long as it's reliable. He does need a wireless card as he doesn't have a connection in his room. He's already set up for monitor keyboard mouse from his old pc.

I'm a bit out of the loop with the latest bargains and top hardware etc so if people could suggest a build for me that would be great.

His budget is £400.

Cheers.

2. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Sounds like he'd be fine using an APU then. :)

3. Dean R

Dean R What's a Dremel?

Cool. So what's the difference between socket FM1 and FM2? I'm guessing FM2 is the latest one?

4. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Yeah, FM2 is definitely the best thing to go with. I'm sure other people will be able to recommend you as to which model.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

fm1 is the older one for the 3xxx A-series APUs and 6xx series Athlons
    fm2 is the current one for the 4000, 5xxx and 6xxx A-series APUs, 7xx series Athlons and is not compatible with fm1 stuff

fm2+ is for the upcoming kaveri APUs, they are compatible with fm2 cpus [supposedly]

Also worth pointing out that the steam version FM2014 works on linux... so if budget is tight you can possibly get away without a copy of windows...

6. rollo

rollo Modder

Depends if he wants to watch matches in 3d or not, If not your better trying to build a Intel build, As fm is not multi threaded at all. Still single thread game uses 1 cpu core.

7. Dean R

Dean R What's a Dremel?

Really? So the AMD APU would be pointless then? Gonna have to have a redesign. Yes he wants to watch the matches in 3D.

I was trying to squeeze an SSD card into the build coz that will make a big difference.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

Then the AMD apu would be needed unless your buying a dedicated gpu.

But fm2014 is not multi threaded and will never be. Same engine the stats bit anyway ( basically 90% of the game)

The only bit thats been upgraded in years is the 3d match engine which looks like fifa 2004 on ps2 at best. Still awful graphics wise.

Personally stick it on only com and replays of goals.

Higher single threaded performance you have the faster it will go. If he wants multiple leagues then its even more vital.

9. Dean R

Dean R What's a Dremel?

So I'm confused what you're recommending? An Intel CPU and a cheap GPU would be a faster option? I know the graphics are dreadful and would only need a basic GPU.

10. Dean R

Dean R What's a Dremel?

I just need the bare minimum graphical ability to run the 3D match engine on max. Apart from that I want speed.

Can you recommend a build. And do you think an SSD would be wise (as well as an HDD for the rest of his storage) or spend the extra money on a better processor?

11. rollo

rollo Modder

Will make 2 builds for you once home you can check from there what best suits.

12. rollo

rollo Modder

http://www.scan.co.uk/savedbasket/575734895067480ea420ae4310b38327

Would be what id buy if it was me. Its a touch over budget but if you dont need windows its under budget.

Would play FM 2014 better than any AMD option out there due to its single threaded performance.

You also dont need a HDD if all your doing is playing FM as FM is like 2gb install.

13. Instagib

Instagib Minimodder

Just a thought; fm will run on Linux now, so you can save £80 there if you're willing to give it a go.

14. Dean R

Dean R What's a Dremel?

Yeh I'm sorted for Windows. I've got a copy. Legitimate of course. Cheers for that build I'll consider it.

15. Dean R

Dean R What's a Dremel?

Well I think he would still want enough storage for his music. I just mean he doesn't need it for any other games.

There's no GPU included in that build, would his on board graphics support it?

16. rollo

rollo Modder

yes they would be fine for that 3d match engine. Its not a taxing engine any onboard gpu from the last decade would be fine. Only thing you may need to check is the wireless card.

17. Dean R

Dean R What's a Dremel?

What would I need to check about the wireless card?

18. rollo

rollo Modder

Check its compatable with PCI-E slots not all PCI cards are and I have not had time to check to make sure yet.

19. Dean R

Dean R What's a Dremel?

Alright I'll check it out after work. Cheers for all your help.

20. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The Card is PCI, the board only has PCI-E slots... you'd need to pick another wireless card...