1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Deep fried PCs on the market within a year...

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 5 Apr 2007.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I love to see a mod that uses oil and watercooling at the same time. Ok it may be useless somehow but i imagine the tubes running into the oil embeded system. watercooling the cpu/gpu(s)/chipsets.

I know i am eh.. weird.. :D

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I've seen someone with a oil cooled system lik this, it ran at like -20 or something stupid, dunno how he got it that cold. His motherboard bas basically a big block of ice

4. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

I participated in a looong forum discussion about this over at procooling.com (i think it was). The end conclusion was that it does work, but it has a tendency to kill your caps, and you should probably not do this with your favorite rig. if anyones interested I'll see if I can dig up the thread...

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That was because he dropped big chunks of DICE into the thing to keep it cool - this is a normal solution.

Probably - but it'll depend what kind of oil you use. I'm sure there're different kind of oil that you can use which won't damage a cap.

6. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Unless you start with fairly cool running parts (like a Via CPU) I suspect you'd still need some extra system to get get rid of the heat - convection alone wouldn't be enough since convection is simply motion caused by thermal differentials and not actual cooling.

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I think the main problem with oil cooled rigs is that you need to be sure you won't be taking any part of the system out after the oil is in there. What do you do if you want to swap your graphics card out or swap your RAM into a new computer and its covered in cooking oil? Wash it?

8. Tyinsar

Yep, as long as it's not live (not powered or holding power) you can wash it.

Welcome new staff guy :thumb: (I loved Monkey Island too)

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Nobody loves monkey island as much as I do. And anyone who even thinks they do...well, they fight like cows!

10. Tyinsar

:nono: Mr. dairy farmer, you can't start the fight with a comeback.

11. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

"Look behind you... a three headed monkey!"

What a classic :D

12. Cptn-Inafinus

Cptn-Inafinus Minimodder

"Your fiancee' looks like a monkey in a neglege!"

*Note to self, never use comebacks from games in a real life situation*

13. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Yes, with normal tap water, then rinse with bottled/distilled water, then leave to dry in a warm place for 48 hours. they did it to a Lappy, had it running, tipped wine and orange juice on it till it stopped, the took it apart and washed it in the afore mentioned way. It worked after.

But it would be a huge hassle to upgrade, it would be much heavier to move, I can't really see any benefit, possible more consistent temps over time as dust is less likely to accumulate around the heatsink preventing flow.

14. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

one thing people have overlooked here is that if regular cooking oil is used it will slowly cause chemical reactions with some of the board components, creating very tiny free-floating electrically conductive particles. :nono:

It would be quite fine in the short term, but over the long term and given the sizes of contacts/traces these days it would not be fun after a few years. :(
    The charges of the contacts would also be a draw for the debris (a la electrostatic painting)

I also don't foresee this being able to handle an 8800GTX SLI setup without additional cooling, but for that hassle you might as well use the secondary cooling system as the primary in the first place.

15. metarinka

metarinka What's a Dremel?

It's always been a dream to do a computer like this, but there's monetary and practical considerations. Sounds like they are trying it first with servers/ rackmounts etc systems not desktop PC's my concern is not so much with the frying of the computer, but the what if situation I've personally dropped or dented a computer case before, but I can just imagine the first time this thing springs a leak or is dropped and you have a gallon plus of oil dripping over your desk or what not (also the comp would overheat and shutdown) That's my concern for the practicality of such a system

as far as the ability of such a system to do significant cooling I have faith. these oils would have a higher specific heat (IIRC) than air as such it would take more energy to heat up than air, convection and heatsinks would handle flow. and radiation/sublimination would release the energy into the air, proof-of-concept systems have been made before. Also a decent amount of electrical transformers which handle much higher voltage and temperatures are oil submerged/cooled. there also might be an aspect of maintainence over the years though in terms of contamination and such

16. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules What's a Dremel?

Just imagine if you somehow cracked open the case...oil all over the place!

17. TomH

TomH BELTALOWDA!

Following on from what metarinka was talking about, the server market is about the only place an idea like this could gather ground.

If you think about the average amount of power used by fans in your typical 2-4U server. They're never pansy-fans, and I'm sure it adds up, particularly over the years (and with an entire farm).

10W x 3 = 30W? Even if that's extreme, and per-server, it's a difference that could turn up some interesting TCO differences over a 5-year period.

Also, if Intel can sell new chips based on lower-power requirements, surely Very-PC could sell their new server-cooling solutions based on the promise of eliminating the need for powerful (and noisy!) fans in the system. It's not as nuts as it sounds, and especially considering I'm due to be working in an office with a number of servers locked up in a £1,800 sound-proofed rack -- something I'm sure the management would rather have not forked-out for!

Though there are problems, of course. Fumes? If the oil gets too warm, it could begin to evaporate, causing some unpleasant smells (chips in the morning, afternoon and evening?) There's also the possibility of needing to top-up the oil, and what may be the most important consideration: How long until the oil needs replacing? If that winds up being too often, then I should imagine any benefits in TCO would go straight out of the window with the downtime required to "change the server oil".

But pushing the reduced power requirements, they could be on to something, should they manage to squash any bugs in the theory. :geek:

18. Dr. Strangelove

Dr. Strangelove What's a Dremel?

Well dug around and found the thread Here (Warning close to 400 posts).

I think they tried several types of oil, and yes smell was one drawback (as far as I remember)

I myself managed to get hold of 25L of transformer oil to try it out, but never got any further than that. If anyone reading this lives in Copenhagen and wants to try this I'll be happy to donate the oil. This oil is probably some of the best for the job as it's designed to cool electronics (at very high voltage), only drawback is that as far as I remember also smells quiet bad.

19. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

If you were to do an entire rack, you might as well have some sort of very large low-speed fan over a radiator and circulate the oil from all the systems through a cool and filter loop.

If done that way I can see this being quite practical for servers. Desktops will still be the domain of air and water cooling though.

20. Kurayamino

Kurayamino As long as the Raven flies

BRB, My pc needs an oil change!!!

Tags: Add Tags