1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Defyant Q Clone Speakers

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Defyant Mods, 24 Oct 2018.

1. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

I thought i'd share some my speaker builds :)

This is prolly above all my one true passion..There is nothing as sweet as planning and building and eventually listening to a sweet sounding set of speakers that you built :D

My cases have come and gone within months of being built but my fav speakers have been with me for years :)
    I'd been after a punchy set of book shelf speakers for stereo and pc duties for a while and wanted a specific white with a retro style curve to them...

The only set i could find that i really liked were the Q Acoustics Concept 20's.. But after an audition i soon found that while they did sound clean they just wern't punchy enuf for what i wanted... and were going to cost me $600+ back then....

so in Defyant style i went DIY.

I stuck with the tried and tested Vifa Pairing P17WJ 6.5 woofer and d25 tweeter i'd already used this pairing and x-over in previous speakers and was very happy.
    There's lots of good stuff to be found on the net about these and would be a ton more punchy than the Q's.

I started with 32mm mdf for the tops and bottoms of the speakers with 20mm for the rest of the cabs. The 32mm chosen for the large rounded edges i was after.

I also invested in a huge router bit to make the curves.. so far this had gotten plenty of use making retro side units as well :)

With the cabs cut , glued and fronts routed you can see how nice a shape the routed curve adds compared to the the plain square on the right.

[​IMG]
    With internal bracing in all four corners and front panel to rear bracing these things are heavy and solid!
    [​IMG]

For the front grills i use a old speaker trick from years ago and use magnets to attach them.
    Before the front panels were glued to the cabs i added some magnets to each inside corner
    Then married each one by drilling a micro hole thru the panel onto the matching grill... then adding magnet to the grill.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The grill can then be front shaped to match the front of the speaker :)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next was to fit up the speakers and test the grill. (look @ that old workshop!)

[​IMG]

You prolly already spotted the X Over!

These were made to spec using the best parts i could locally source... a little overkill but these are going to be my babies!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time to finish the cabs

A lotta primer and sanding.... more primer .. some filler more sanding.... and some more sanding....

Then some wet sanding!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After a while it was time to add some acrylic white paint. aLOT of white.... about 9 coats per cab.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Being acrylic paint these were left to sit for over a month.....

This allowed the paint to settle and sink back and finally be chopped again and buffed shiny.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Line the cabs install the x-overs and solder in the speakers.

[​IMG]

Next is to add some cloth to the magnetic grill covers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally take some money shots :D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The rest is history as they say :D these will be my pc / stereo speakers for the next 10 years maybe more :D

[​IMG]

:)

Last edited: 24 Oct 2018
    Cheapskate and Arboreal like this.