1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Deleted USB drivers - now can't login! (Yes, I'm stupid)

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by st00dent, 3 Apr 2015.

1. st00dent

st00dent Minimodder

Hi all

Did something kinda stupid and now in a bit of a problem...

Having usb woes after using a usb hub and in previous days the simplest thing to do was to delete the controller host from system manager and hit scan hardware changes and windows would reinstall and i'd be on my merry way...

Anyway, since my last rebuild, i failed to notice i have no PS2 ports and hence when i came to plug mouse in to hit scan for hardware changes i can't!

To make matters worse I cannot rdp to the machine (had a foil hat moment and turned it off!?)

Was hoping drivers would reinstall themselves following a reboot but can't get past login screen!

Tried system restore from cd but suggest I need to reboot and choose an os, this would be fine, but i cannot log in!

Any ideas anyone? I really don't want to reinstall all my programs!

Thanks in advance!

2. st00dent

st00dent Minimodder

Fixed - if anyone else does this - Windows 8 - if you hit reset multiple times (e.g. out of anger!) it will load the start up repair menu and from there you can find system restore points. If you (like i did) run the startup repair via a cd/dvd it won't find restore points.

phuzz likes this.
  3. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

:) +rep for posting a solution. I'm kinda suprised Windows will let you kill all unputs like that without some sort of fallback. There must be a solution that doesn't involve restoring.

4. RichCreedy

RichCreedy Hey What Who

How long did you leave it, as sometimes it will reinstall the required drivers, if left long enough

5. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Also replugging should trigger a driver install even if you aren't logged in.