1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows deleting something...

Discussion in 'Software' started by Amorphus, 17 May 2003.

1. Amorphus

Amorphus What's a Dremel?

yeah, its a rather useless title, but I honestly don't know what to delete.

ok, you know when you dual-boot or multi-boot or whatever, you have a menu you can select an OS from? well, mine has two entries on it. keep in mind I only have ONE operating system (winxp sp1)

heres the two options:
    Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    and
    (Backup Line) Microsoft Windows XP Professional

now, that "backup line" seems to be taking up over a gig on my system disk.

heres my bootloader, see if anyone can make sense of it:

Code:
    [boot loader]
    timeout=30
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /KERNEL=LOGOOS.EXE
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="(Backup Line) Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

or, specifically, what can I delete?

here's my C:\ Windows directory (I have nothing else in C:\ other than program files, temp, and documents and settings.

those, and boot.ini, and boot.bxp

stupid taking-up-disk-space... that stupid backup is leeching off all of my free space. :wallbash:

any ideas?

2. craigey1

craigey1 Minimodder

From what I see you've got or had bootXP installed. See here. This allows different boot screens to be loaded rather then the default XP one.

You can manually remove the line:
    Code:
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /KERNEL=LOGOOS.EXE

or run the bootxp program and it will have an option to remove that line. As always make sure you make a backup of the boot.ini file.

I can't see how the 1 line in boot.ini is taking iver 1gig in space, it shouldn't be more then a couple of Kb.

3. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

if there is a gig of space being taken up somewhere deleting a line in your boot.ini file will not free it up.

the /kernel = logoos.exe bit in the boot ini file is simply telling windows to look for a different kernel (usually just the windows kernel with a diff boot screen), so removing that line will just tell windows to beet up the way it says in the other line (completely normal) (the backup line will be bootxp or whatever just putting the default line in after the new line with the new boot loader it makes)
    the logoos.exe file will be a few mb and in the windows\system32 directory and you will be ale to delete that after you have removed the reference from the boot.ini file.

go to add/remove programs and see if you have boot xp or something similar there and remove it but that will not be taking up a huge amount of space

the only other thing i an think of as a backup taking up loads of space if that when you installed windows xp you can have it backup a load of files from the previous OS (basically the whole thing) in case you want to revert back to the old one. this could be the backup you are talking about but it would not be in the boot.ini file, i think if you run disk cleanup it shows you if that is backed up and how much space is taking up.

4. Amorphus

yes, it was BootXP (couldn't think of the name)

and I was just noting the reference to the backup line in the boot.ini file - I was wondering where all that content was.

theres too many folders in Windows... :baby:

ok...

went to disk cleanup, no mention of a backup anywhere. will BootXP be able to remove the backup it created?

*edit #2*
    downloaded bootXP again, there is an option to uninstall teh "backup" it made. :thumb:

Last edited: 17 May 2003
  5. Mister_Tad

so what was it that was taking up the 1gb of space you said earlier then?

6. Amorphus

I dunno, I had always assumed it was the backup, since WinXP does not take up almost 3 gigs of space.

I have no clue whats up. :miffed:

7. Mister_Tad

delete it and see what happens :lol:

8. Nigel

Nigel What's a Dremel?

Just a quick thought... Your machine isn't an IBM Thinkpad is it?

If not, ignore me....

If so, don't delete it, it could be the system backup supplied because no recovery CD is supplied with some models.

As I said, just a thought...

Tags: