1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notebooks Dell components

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lazlow, 12 Sep 2005.

1. Lazlow

Lazlow I have a dremel.

Quick question, howcome Dell components are wayyyyyyy more than other major brands. I'm looking specifically at memory - 512mb PC2700 Laptop memory is £123 from Dell, whereas it's only £44 at a leading online retailer.

Is there a difference between Dell and normal laptop memory? If not, will 512mb PC2700 Kingston or Corsair SO-DIMM laptop memory be compatible with a Dell laptop (Inspiron 5160).

Hope someone can help!

2. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Dell charge more cos most people who buy a laptop have no idea that half the bits are easy to fit.

Chances are any brand SODIMM memory will fit so long as its the right speeds.

Crucial will guarantee the correct/working memory if the laptops is in their list...

3. Godboy_g

Godboy_g What's a Dremel?

As far as I know there really isn't any difference between Dell Ram and generic Ram. Of course, I've never worked with Ispirion laptops, only Dell desktop PCs. So there may be some sort of propriatary something or other that prevents you from using generic Ram.

I know with IBM laptops, you can only use specific hardware in them. Even between models. I tried using a Wifi MiniPCI card from a T43 in an R40, and got a message saying that an Unauthorized network card was installed. Go figure :geek:

4. Haddy

Haddy World Domination

Dell has a large markup on their aftermarket items. Heck I had one client who dell tried to charge $80 to send her some restore cds...

A lot of companies do this because of the guaranteed compatibility of using "genuine xxxxx" parts. Where buying cheaper might get you the same part but you always have that what if factor...