1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dell Touchpad mouse mod / pc interface *Update*

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Warrior_Rocker, 25 Sep 2006.

1. Warrior_Rocker

Warrior_Rocker Holder of the sacred iron

Here are the pinouts to adapt the signals from ps/2 to adapt the signals to a serial port. > Link <

The pdf in this thread should detail the pinouts from your specific touchpad, assuming it is made by synaptics. which it probably is

2. mattthegamer463

mattthegamer463 What's a Dremel?

I am most certianly doing this (again) and incorporating it into a keyboard, maybe as a little slide-out hidden thing. Just because we can, am I right?

3. Warrior_Rocker

I believe I am going to get one of those really cheap usb y spitters for ps/2 ports so that the touchpad can be hooked up via usb instead of ps/2.

and matt, "because we can" is the only reason to ever mod something. Unless you are getting paid, then you could be doing it "because we can" + "well why not I am getting paid"

4. mattthegamer463

I disagree. Mods like this are more "modding for the sake of modding" rather than "modding to improve something" or "modding to make it cool" and few mods are backed by that mentality.

5. kylelnsn

kylelnsn What's a Dremel?

COOOOLLLLLL

omg that is sweet, very nice job, cool
    me thinks i may do this!

thanks

6. konzo

konzo What's a Dremel?

Hello, I need some help with connecting a serial Synaptics touchpad to my computer. It is difficult to find out which is pin number 1 because the pad is pasted to a piece of metal:

[​IMG]

If anyone knows wether it is the one at the left (right button side) or the right (left button side) please reply.

Thank you.

7. Warrior_Rocker

First and formost: Hello and welcome to the forums.

Now onto things. Is it possible that you still have the device that the touchpad hooked up to. You could voltmeter the cable and find out which pins are the ground and power input. With that info it is easy to determine the pinouts from the PDF from synaptics.

Also it would be helpful if you could find the model number of that touchpad as it would help you determine what the pinouts are in the PDF. You may have to carefully pry it off the metal plate to get to the numbers.

8. konzo

konzo What's a Dremel?

Thank you! I think I've found the correct pinout order, because the 6th pin is connected to ground (to the metal plate) and the 3rd isn't. I'm following the pin asignmets given by Sinaptics for serial touch pads (8pin connector).

Anyway it still isn't detected by the computer, even installing the correct sinaptics drivers. Maybe I dind't solder it correctly :confused: . I'll check the connections again :waah:

9. Warrior_Rocker

Perhaps if you try the mouse driver for the laptop you took the touchpad out of. (if indeed it was a laptop) Otherwise I am not to sure for the serial touchpads. Perhaps if you try (though you probably already have) rebooting your computer?

10. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I did this a while ago. I got my touchpad from an HP Compaq NX8220.

this is a touchpad made by synaptics. Keyboard was a flat logitech kayboard. I just got a small PS2->USB adapter (two ps2 ports to one usb plug)

just soldered the cable on USB, and the kaybard and touchpad on the PS2 ports.

I found out that the pinout found in the datasheet from synaptics can be a bit missleading, since often it's the PC manufacturer that have mounted the cable, not synaptics. I just used the trial and error method. just try and connect. if the touchpad get hot, you are doing it wrong ;)

use a computer that you won't miss the PS2 ports on, though. And remember to restart after each test.

here is a pic of what i ended up with:

[​IMG]

I don't have any photos of the inside of it. And i can't take it apart, as the touchpad is glued in place.

11. Warrior_Rocker

Very nice work there. Top Notch! This is definitly a very pro looking install. It looks to be as close to stock as you can get.

I guess it also helps that the paint seems to match fairly well on both, helping it blend in better. :dremel:

12. konzo

konzo What's a Dremel?

Thank you. I've found that some cables got loose and soldered them again but it still doesn't work... I'l try to connect them randomly as you suggest, I hope it doesn't burn. I´ll also try to connect via PS2 because it is supported by the touchpad.

I'll be posting here when I have any results.

PS: That keyboard really looks better than factory made!

Regards.

13. mattthegamer463

Wow, thats tank. Your lucky that the pad is exactly the same size as the numpad spot. I may just have to make my own one of those.

14. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Thanks guys.

the first touchpad i had was a bit smaller (but thiner). however getting the buttons to be comfprtable was hopeless, so i cahnged it. this one have a scroll-function aswell :)

And yes. I was pretty lucky on the with of the pad. the black square below the pad is just a piece of an old DVD cover that i glued in the remaining hole. (it have almost exactly the same color and texture as the buttons on the keyboard :)

15. pseudolobster

pseudolobster What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

I hate to sign up to forums just to bump old threads, but this place seems to be the best site on the web for info on hacking synaptics touchpads...

Anyway, what do you make of this?

[​IMG]

it's labeled as TM41-307, and it seems its 12 pin header isn't one of the ones mentioned in the datasheet.. From what I can tell, pins 5&6 are ground, pins 2&3, 7&8, 9&10 and 10&11 are tied to eachother... (but I could be wrong, those leads are really tiny.)

[​IMG]
    I wasn't sure before, but 2&3 are definately connected.. I'm wondering if they could be the left/right buttons sharing a common ground.. but it's all guesswork at this point... short of plugging this back into a live laptop, how can I figure out the pins using nothing but a multimeter?

Thanks!

16. pseudolobster

pseudolobster What's a Dremel?

Thanks for all the replies guys :rolleyes:

I managed figure out the pinout for the TM41PUZ307... it wasn't as hard as I thought...

So if anyone else encounters this undocumented touchpad, here's how to get it working:

1 = rmb
    2/3 = n/c?
    4 = lmb
    5/6 = gnd
    7/8 = clk
    9/10 = data
    11/12 = +5v

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

[​IMG]

Sweetest mod i have ever seen, i love it when mods are done to look professional and stock. It looks as if it is meant to be there!

But i also like the use of the NUM pad.... USB NUM pad it is then! lol!

18. mrlanrat

mrlanrat What's a Dremel?

Hi,

as for all of you trying to mod you touchpads to ps2 every comp will have a different ribbon cable coming out of it. but the actual connector on the mouse will be the same. (i have 4 synaptics touchpads, this is he case with all of them.)

i have modded one of mine to interface with ps2, the end of my ribon cable went like this

ground, clock, ground, data, ground, ground, VCC, VCC

and i used a ps2 cable from a old ps2 mouse and it went like this

organge pin 1 Data
    green pin 3 GND
    white pin 5 Clock
    blue pin 4 VCC 5v

the only difference in the various touchpads is that some will be 180 degrese off. explained on page 11 of http://www.synaptics.com/decaf/utilities/ACF126.pdf

as for getting laptop keyboards to hook into usb or ps2, it can be done just as easily.
    (i have done this with ps2 but i think it will work with usb just as well.)

you need the keyboard controller from a desktop keyboard (normally the only circuit board in it)

then wire the pins from the laptop keyboard into it. (good luck, Warrior_Rocker was nice enof to give us the data sheet for the touchpad, but i cant find anything for the keyboard.)
    i got lucky, the laptop keyboard i had had 24 pins on it, and the controller had 25, after some playing around i figured out the 25th pin was an extra ground and all of the other pins lined right up (i was extreamly lucky)

and a quick search on Google brought this up http://www.grynx.com/projects/converted-laptop-keyboard/
    which uses a simular idea.

19. mattthegamer463

Lookie what I found!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Can you believe someone would throw this out?!?

[​IMG]

Serial. :( Works though after a driver hunt.

I plan to build it into a keyboard like Smilodon, or maybe leave this one as-is and get a laptop one for a keyboard mod.

20. Butcher9_9

Butcher9_9 What's a Dremel?

i`m not that good with electronics

i got my self a very old laptop (sharp pc 9340t)
    the touchpad is a logitech with 8 pins ,pin 1 and 6 are ground and 5v (not sure which way around i`m not sure) and pin 7 and 8 dont react when multimetered

so it sounds like the pin lay out are similar to other manufacturers
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i just have a few questions :
    1. do you think that it would have a similar pin lay out
    2. the right and left buttons are connected to the right and left pins and ? (ground or 5v)
    3.are ps2 mouse and keyboard plugs the same (i`m pretty sure they are )
    4. i have keyboard ps2 cable and it has 4 wires and shielding :
    red is 5v
    yellow ?
    green?
    white?

ok so i did a bit of research and found this
    [​IMG]
    so it seems that keyboard and mouse cables use different pins / now i need to find an only mouse to butcher
    thanx

Last edited: 21 Jun 2007