1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Dell unveils curved UltraSharp U3415W

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 2 Sep 2014.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I used to love my 5:4 LCD. I only got this one 'cos my old 1280x1024 broke. I have to confess, though, the extra screen real estate is nice. Shame my APU can't run (m)any games at the native resolution, though...

2. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

I'm sure there are plenty of people who still use single monitors of considerable age, but for me Desktop Pc Technology has just gotten to the point where I get very little gain out of upgrading internal components, so I've started splashing out on Monitor / Keyboard / Mouse instead.

3. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

My secondary monitor is one of those Eizo panels. 12 year old S-IPS goodness found in Cash Generator for a tenner! :D

4. debs3759

debs3759 Was that a warranty I just broke?

I use a single 1080p AOC monitor. Hope to upgrade to 4K early next year, with my current monitor as a second monitor.

5. dolphie

dolphie What's a Dremel?

That bevel right in the middle ruins it for me.

6. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

It's a beZel. And that's why you need three :)

7. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

Using a 26" iiyama 1920x1200 for the last 5 years, happy as punch with it. Looking at the AOC 34" 21:9 screen coming out in October that Bit-Tech had a preview of. It's 8.9mm narrower, but almost another 50% wider that what I'm currently using, so I reckon it's going to suit me perfectly for work and gaming. No doubt this curved Dell will be almost three times the price. LG's 21:9 screen is twice that of the AOC offering.

8. Gareth Halfacree

I miss the contrast and variable resolution of CRTs, but you're absolutely right that there's nothing to miss about their mahoosive dimensions! I've got a 28" Panasonic Quintrix TV I use for gaming up 'ere, and I nearly died carrying it up the narrow stairs...

9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

I'm another in the single monitor crowd, a Dell U2412M. I have two monitors at work, and it's actually quite a pain at times going home to a single screen, but my better half has enforced a moratorium on further monitor purchases. Can't really complain, as I don't typically do enough at home to justify a second screen, and "Just because I want one" apparently isn't a good enough reason :D

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

You can never have too much screen estate.

11. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

im using a single 1920 x 1200 dell ( not sure of the model though )

did think about upgrading to a dual / triple monitor though...but my 7870 would likely struggle driving 2 more monitors

12. scuppy

scuppy Minimodder

Tough question....

Would you guys trade up two monitors (or three monitors) for just one of these super wide screen beauties?

[​IMG]

I'm not sure that one of these 34" curved screens would be enough now that I've tasted two (and three)

13. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

No I'd still have to have another monitor in portrait to one side.

14. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

I'd happily trade any 2 smaller monitors for a single 30" 16:10... don't care much for ultra widescreen, especially the curved ones.

15. scuppy

scuppy Minimodder

You say that, but almost all the reviews I have read had that opinion until they actually tried one of the displays out.

I think a 34" LG Curved with a Dell 2713 in portrait would be massive overkill so might shift it and stick with my 2407 has lasted me well in portrait mode :)

16. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Nope. Single display here also. I don't have the space for another screen and even if I did I can't imagine what I would use it for. Except to check my online haunts without having to alt-tab out of games. Though it hardly seems worth it.

17. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger What's a Dremel?

I guess YOU are the person they do the benchmarks for on those ultra-low resolutions, less then or equal to 1920x1200.

Yours in Ultra-High resolution 3 monitor Plasma,
    Star*Dagger

18. Gareth Halfacree

I'm not exactly the target audience for benchmarks, 'cos A) the last discrete graphics card I bought was a GeForce 9800 and 2) I typically game at 1280x800, mostly 'cos of A. Except when I'm playing on my Amiga, of course, in which case it's usually 320x256.

19. GuilleAcoustic

GuilleAcoustic Ook ? Ook !

Long time no see Star, I trully missed your trolls :blush:. Glad to see you haven't changed :D.

20. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Oink!

Thing is, I've had numerous display configurations. At one point I had two 24" displays side-by-side, then I had a 30" main with a 20" portrait to the left, and now I have a 26" main with a 20" to the left and it's perfect for my current needs, however a single 30" would be even better because it would mean I could get rid of the 20"... sadly it's just too expensive at the moment.

I use my displays primarily for graphic work so a curved display would be useless (straight lines would appear curved, and vice versa).

As far as I can see it this monitor is aimed at immersive gaming/movie experience, not professional use.