1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Deus Ex 3 trailer released

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 12 Mar 2010.

1. Farfalho

Farfalho Minimodder

Never played Deus Ex and probably I'll never play the first two ones but this one I might. Looked pretty awesome, roll it out please!

2. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Go away.

Go away and never come back.

Or just stop being silly and go play the first two, ferchrissakes.

3. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

fixed

4. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

AHEM.

5. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

Fixed again! Sheesh, elitist. :p

6. ev1lm1nd666

ev1lm1nd666 What's a Dremel?

Sod the shades, gimme that sword thing that pops out of his arm!

7. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

But as Joe did point out in his recent article, it's not the shining image of perfection we like to remember it as. Well, you guys at least, I only played DX for the first time a few years back, but I still think it's a fantastic game and I can understand the hatred towards DX2, had I played DX when it first came out I would have been foaming at the mouth at a sequel that wasn't really as up to scratch as the original.

However, this time around for DX3 I think pretty much everyone (who has played the other two games) is skeptical, especially after DX2 and SS2/BS disappointments. This is a good thing IMO, if people don't set their expectations too high then they'll hopefully enjoy DX3 for what it is rather than be disappointed it didn't live up to their memories of the original.

I like the direction they've gone with cybernetics rather that nano-tech. Reminds me of Cyberpunk 2020 and Ghost in the Shell.

Damn I'm gonna have to play DX now.

8. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

I'm thinking along those lines too. I want to like Deus Ex 3. I gave DX2 a hard time after my first playthrough, but over time I've come to appreciate the areas where it really succeeded rather than focus on its failings in comparison to DX.

Same here, definitely. I thought Deus Ex dealt with Nanotechnology in a nice, balanced way - Nothing too outlandish, no Arthur C. Clarke technology-as-magic stuff (even if it was implied in the philosophical undertones of the game) and it felt as cutting-edge as it 'should' for the setting.
    DX2 made Nanotechnology into far too much of a techno-magic thing that could do anything and while it worked for the setting it lost some of that special-ness by going to those extremes rather than dealing with the topic in a moderate way.

It's like Murphy's Law but with a hint of inescapability. :p

9. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Hmm the word Cyberpunk always reminds me of an old favorite of mine..Bloodnet. Vampires, cybernetics and jury rigging weapons and equipment.. Aaah good times :hip:

10. Chocobollz

Chocobollz What's a Dremel?

If you want your precious, you would want another Lord of The Ring sequels, not Deus Ex :p

11. Toxic_Lemon

Toxic_Lemon What's a Dremel?

OOoo yes can`t wait, Very excited.

12. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

This looks good, but more importantly, it sounds good. The visuals might change for the prerendered stuff, but the voice actor won't, and the soundtrack is also pretty likely to be carried over. One of the things that DE did absolutely right was the soundtrack, it just gives so much atmosphere to a game...

I also like the catchphrase "if you want to make enemies, change something". It seems they are going to take the philosophical part of the game serious aswell.

I'll be back in two days, i have to do another run of DE now:(

13. theflatworm

theflatworm Gordon Freeman's Crowbar

It's more like Julian Lennon, really. ;)

14. theflatworm

theflatworm Gordon Freeman's Crowbar

I really don't see why everyone is so down on console ports. The way I see it, it just means that the user base is that much larger, so they can spend more money developing it, while still charging the same end price. Of course, when you're going for such a large and diverse user base, you have to be be sure you don't exclude the 25% of the population with IQs less that 90, so everything needs to be dumbed down quite substantially. And while we're at it, you need to make sure you aren't too edgy with your content, or do anything too original, because that might alienate people too. And you can't write code to take advantage of the quirks of PC architecture, because that won't translate very well to the consoles. And you need to make sure you don't put in too much high-graphical stuff, because that'd bring the Xbox 360 to its knees. And you need to develop with a number of different controllers in mind so the system is never truely optimised for one in particular...

But apart from all that, I don't see the problem with console ports. Also: what have the Romans ever done for us?

Last edited: 15 Mar 2010
  15. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

lol :D

16. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

want.

too bad it wont b PC optimized.

or does anyone know any multi-platform game that's PC optimized?

Tags: Add Tags