1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Networks DHCP or not??

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by felix the cat, 10 Apr 2002.

1. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

smoothwall...again...sorry about that...

well i finally got it workin and now im wondering wat would be the advantages or disadvantages of running the DHCP that it offers...

thanks for any help...

2. felix the cat

anyone know???

3. herbs

herbs Nobody but us chickens

If you have a few machines it's really upto you whether to have dhcp. But if you had like say 8+ then dhcp would be better as you wouldn't have manually enter all the ip addresses (imagine a business with 100 machines, the poor tech would have to enter 100 ip addresses, but with dhcp the server would have a range of ip's that the client machine is allocated on startup). Please note if you choose dhcp and the clients are starting without the dhcp server switched on it will take a lot longer boot.

4. felix the cat

thanks for the reply...makes things a little easier now, as i wasnt really quite sure on how it works...

well as its the firewall it be on 24hours anyway....

so all i have to do is on the workstations set it to use a dhcp instead of fixed ip adresse, but do i need to enter a gatewat adress or a dns adress??

also will this stop me from being able to do anythin that i would be able to do if i didnt run dhcp??

ta...

5. herbs

If you use dhcp the gateway address will be set automatically so will the dns from the settings you use on the smoothwall box. No you will be able to do the same as before hope this helps.

nearly forgot you have to set the range and the dns ip in smoothwall I think. A good ip range for a home network would be say 192.168.1.x - 192.168.1.x + 10 ie for 10 machines

Last edited: 10 Apr 2002
  6. felix the cat

thanks for the info herb....pretty new to all this stuff...well i guess ill run my firewall with a dhcp as it seems the easier option....

sigh* ill have to let go of my fav ip then ...sob sob 192.168.0.13...my lucky ip...:sigh:

7. herbs

Nah that ip will be fine if you want it.

8. Phil

Phil What's a Dremel?

personally i think DHCP is a waste of time for small home networks with 5 or less PCs.

once you get to about 10 ips, or if you're at a LAN party and people come and go, the DHCP is a godsend.

and WinXP works really well with DHCP too.

9. felix the cat

well i got 8 pcs on permanantly on our home network...and another one or two machines might be added...so i guess it will be usefull....

10. Fly

Fly inter arma silent leges

The thing about having DHCP enabled is you can plug a pc into your network with no configuration at all... Ideal if you are always fixing other peeps PCs... :rolleyes:

You got MSN file transfer working over Smoothie?? Took me a minute to find a howto and ten minutes to enable it and it works like a dream. I said I would post how to do it and I will. but my Uni course work, looking for a new job and other things are keeping me soooooooo busy!!! let me know if you want details and I will mail you all I have.

11. felix the cat

cheers fly...might take you up on that offer, but im still building a case for the firewall as i already have my dual celery 500 server in the network centre (a cuboard) which is currently runnin tiny firewall for out internet acess but as soon as the case is finished the new firewall will go in and go up....basically i spent one afternoon installing it on this machine, now ive dismantled it to make the case....but ill get back to you on that...

....looks like u use smoothwall aswell....any tips on it?

one quick question on it, one of the features:

IDS using snort. No setup required. Log viewer for viewing events.

what does this do??

also if i run a ftp server on my old server will i have to set anythin up to make it run through smoothwall?

cheers for all the help.....would be lost without you guys!!!

12. herbs

If your running ftp server run it in the dmz due if its hacked your network will be safe, unlike if you open your ports for forwarding.

Snort is used to monitor any intrusion attempts by outside sources i.e hackers. It came in handy for me as I was getting attacked by the same person, the b*st*rd I hope he/she rots in hell. I must admit I don't really understand it too well.

13. batsman

batsman the quiet one

what do the values mean on the log i take it 1 is really bad but what is at the other end of the scale?

14. felix the cat

how do you enable the snort?

also wat did you mean about the firewall and running it?? sorry couldnt quite make sense of the guru talk....

15. herbs

flix-the-cat: There is a tab for IDS, I dont know where on smoothwall as I don't use it. No idea what you mean about firewall and running it, unless you mean the ftp server and dmz?

batsman:
    1 - Bad
    2 - Not too Bad
    3 - Possibly Bad

16. felix the cat

this is the bit i didnt understand:

If your running ftp server run it in the dmz due if its hacked your network will be safe, unlike if you open your ports for forwarding.

17. herbs

If you open a port on your router/firewall to allow traffic i.e ftp, if that ftp server is hacked it is possible to attack the rest of your network. With a DeMilitarized Zone (DMZ) the server is separated from your network thus making it more difficult to gain access to the rest of your machines.

http://rr.sans.org/firewall/DMZ.php for more details on DMZ.

18. felix the cat

cheers...now that makes loads more sense...

Tags: