1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Diablo 3 will have always-online DRM, player-to-player microtransactions

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 1 Aug 2011.

1. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

[​IMG]

was posted up middle of last month at gamestop

2. Ph4ZeD

Ph4ZeD New Member

Your the one being selfish. Your in the tiny tiny minority on dialup, I'm in the vast majority of broadband users. Hell, why don't we start forcing devs to cater to people with no arms, no eyes and no ears too?

3. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

For the first two points there are some vaguely legitimate concerns over fairness and preventing cheating. The game would fall flat on its face if people simply cheated in singleplayer then went online with unfairly boosted characters.

However, that's a pretty stark contrast with implementing features which let players pay real money for in game items. In game money for in game items? At least the player still has to be proficient enough to get the in game currency, even if they weren't able to get the item themselves. Real money? Little Jimmy blowing his allowance on Diablo 3 items because he wants to play in the big leagues without having to do the work. It all goes directly against the "fairness" the other two points try to create.

+1 to that.

4. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Member

You, Sir, a ****ing idiot.

Quite the contrary to being selfish, the opinions you're summarily disregarding there reflect those of more people than you think.

Let's have a think - Diablo 3 isn't going to be sold ONLY in the UK or only in the USA. Believe it or not the world is a much, much bigger place than the town or city you live in, with high-speed broadband.

People on deployment overseas.
    People working away in hotels or commuting regularly.
    People in areas that don't have broadband.
    People in countries that don't have broadband at all.
    People with unreliable and unhelpful ISPs.

There are plenty of countries you can buy a retail boxed game but can't get a reliable internet connection.

3G dongles my ass - have you ever tried to actually use one of those whilst travelling for something even as basic as the WWW? You can literally forget having a reliable and persistent connection.

Personally, I like to get away from the stress of work for weeks at a time - last year I went to Malaysia where I had no hope in hell of getting a regular and stable connection. What did I do? I played Titan Quest (and Immortal Throne) on my laptop, via Steam's offline mode. I'm happy to reauthenticate from time to time - I do see that as reasonable - but online ALL the time - no thanks.

As a previous poster quite rightly says - you can hate the haters as much as you like - but why be so quick to defend the restrictions of the publishers - restrictions that ARE NOT THERE TO HELP YOU. Always online DRM offers you as a consumer *nothing* advantageous. Nothing. Do you understand that? There is not a single benefit to you as a paying customer. On the other side of it, there are significant downsides for lots of other people. Just because you're not affected doesn't make it good for you - it's still BAD.

How can people not see this? It's as if you're being brainwashed by the publishers into taking it up the ass because it's for your own good - simply because they say so.

THERE ARE *NO* ADVANTAGES TO THE CONSUMER FOR ALWAYS-ONLINE DRM.

5. AstralWanderer

AstralWanderer New Member

And what happens if your ISP has a hiccup or your phone line/cable develops a problem? Or if Blizzard's servers can't cope with the traffic? Or if an outage affects their datacentre? Connectivity to any site involves several links, each of which can go wrong.

And then you have the issue of control. It isn't just a working Internet connection, you need a working account too. That means having to suck up to every phrase in Blizzard's EULA (section 12D giving Blizzard rights to anything you create and transmit through their service is a corker). And if Blizzard require you to install spyware to enforce it, as they did previously, then you'll lose your account, game, character, money and time if you don't comply.
    The people that boycott this and similar schemes are the ones who won't have to worry about horrible things, like being denied access to the game they bought or having spyware installed.

If you're a "proper fan" you'll want a game you can return to time and again, even 5-10 years later. Systems like this make that situation laughably improbable - but go ahead, spend your money, support a company that (frankly) no longer gives a damn about you and keep your trap shut when things go wrong and everyone else says "told you so!". :p

6. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Member

+1

7. Star*Dagger

Star*Dagger New Member

You just admitted to never playing the *REAL* Diablo!!

I love listening to the negative nancys on BT, you guys are hilarious.

I am honest enough to say that I will play D3 no matter what, and I know that most of you will still play the game.

The reality is that if your computer isn't online all the time, it is broken.

Harden up, and get ready for some HARDCORE Diablo multiplayer action!!

S*D

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

Had to laugh at this one because it's quite true for a lot of gamers, myself included. These always on DRMs actually have very little impact on me thanks to reasonable broadband speeds and costs. There's a good chance it'd never have an impact.

Unfortunately, that's not always the case. It royally sucks when you're without internet for awhile (already a traumatizing experience), not playing able to play singleplayer games during that time just makes it worse. Or those rare people who don't have access to broadband or pay by MB.

9. greypilgers

greypilgers New Member

Meh... Seems to me that the most derogatory term in English these days is 'DRM'... Just the mere mention of it sends women and children recoiling in horror and men running for their pitchforks...
    Used to be you'd see the word 'paedo' scrawled outside people's houses by vandals... I swear the other day I saw someone graffiti 'DRM author' on this bloke's wall...

10. Eiffie

Eiffie New Member

I'm still on the fence about Diablo 3. While I will gladly eat up any Starcraft 2 expansions that come my way, Diablo was really a grind-fest for better and better gear and I never formed a good connection with the story or many of the characters. If anything it had Blizzard quality music but if I can get a hold of the Diablo 3 soundtrack, I might just skip the game and it's expansions as a whole.

11. DarkFear

DarkFear New Member

I don't understand why people are angry at ActiBlizz or whoever. They obviously care a great deal about their customers. Why else would they make it so easy for people to save their money for Grimdawn/Torchlight 2? :p

12. hyperion

hyperion Active Member

Player to player micro-transactions... This could be the most heavily botted and hacked game ever. Programers, hackers and script-kiddies that play games will rip D3's guts out to find every last exploit, and code hacks and bots in order to make money. I haven't played a Blizzard game since D2:LoD, and promised myself I'd never play another Blizzard game, but I so want to see this disaster with my own eyes.

13. Bede

Bede Well-Known Member

Christ you are a dick. Would you ever argue so aggressively and offensively in the street? I'm guessing not, cowards like to be rude where no one can hurt them..

An awful lot of people have to travel - not all of us use a 15kg desktop as our primary PC. A seriously high proportion of users have dodgy internet connection, either through living in a rural area, having a dodgy ISP or just a crap router. Not withstanding that, I do not see any serious benefit for this always-online DRM you defend that outweighs the huge costs.

14. XXAOSICXX

XXAOSICXX Member

Exactly. +1

15. metarinka

metarinka New Member

define mods
    UI addons and mods, like the ones that fell in the ToS for WoW and greatly improved gameplay? aka all the barmods, maps mods, chat mods, and functionality add-ons? eventually the good ones got put into late game wow but they were usually not as creative and interesting as the originals. I think these mods are great and vastly improve gameplay experience

campaign mods? still not sure if this game can be played single player in a non-MMO mode or if it's only online. If it's only online than campaign mods probably have no place and will be identical to private servers in wow. Campaign and new boss mods greatly expanded the life of D2... dupes and hacks are not modifications those are cheats and would never be okay.

16. Kaihekoa

Kaihekoa New Member

If splitting up SC2 so they could sell it three times, the continuously recycled "content" in WoW, or the extra charge for every goddamn thing they can think of, $15 monthly subscription, and $40 expansions WoW customer milking didn't already convince PC gamers that this Blizzard is not the same pre-late 2000s Blizzard, Diablo III's always online DRM, lack of mods, and pay-to-win auction house surely convinced the rest.This is just ridiculous.

Diablo has always primarily been a single-player game, why the hell does it need to always be online? I guess in their lust for more money Blizzard forgot that post-release, user-generated content is the reason people still play WC3 and SC1. Activision must have made Blizzard realize that there is no direct profit from such long-term support so they said **** it.

The pay-to-win auction house is going to attract hundreds of thousands of gold farmers and bots now, but ActiBlizzard doesn't care if poor Asians are getting paid slave wages via their game as long as they get a profit. They say the real money AH is all about the players, but that is a PR front-loaded lie; I'm sure that the fee they receive from every transaction isn't a factor at all!

They will lose hundreds of thousands of loyal supporters and possible sales from this triple shot of "let's see how much more cash we can milk from gamers while still maintaining our good reputation." Diablo III was a must-buy for many, but now the Blizzard brand name is turning into a "must-avoid" because of their Activision greed and crap Ubisoft DRM.

17. Coltch

Coltch Member

If it was 'one time connection' for authentication I wouldn't mind so much, but in having to be online all the time is a pain - I'm running a 3G dongle which is far from ideal as I live out in the sticks and don't have a phone line.

Unfortunately this trend will continue and as usual it's all down to the pirates according to the developers/publishers.

I will probably get the game even if it does have pointless DRM (hopes and prays the 3G signal stays strong whilst playing)

18. atlas

atlas New Member

Don't care much about the other stuff but always online is just stupid Diablo 3 is effectively a single player game! Not everyone has unlimited access to internet BLIZZARD.

19. Balance Keeper

Balance Keeper New Member

diablo was never a sp game rofl

20. Jqim

Jqim New Member

I was hoping Diablo3 would be a more disposable WoW. I loved diablo (gave me RSI) and loved Diablo2 (re-awakened my RSI) i also played wow for 2 years befor deciding it was ruining my life. Diablo3 is somtihng i hope to ONLY play online with real people but then when its time to stop I just stop, no need to 'find an inn' or finish a instance or whatever, just boom and im back to reality.

Tags: Add Tags