1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Memory Difference between two DDR3 modules?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ChildOfMana, 29 Jan 2012.

1. ChildOfMana

ChildOfMana What's a Dremel?

Hi guys,

Out of curiosity, what is the difference between these two types of DDR3:

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-...600)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-9-9-24-xmp-165v

and

http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-...0-(1600)-non-ecc-unbuffered-cas-9-9-9-24-150v

The only differences I can see are that the former has XMP, heat spreaders and is rated at 1.65v, as opposed to no XMP, heat spreaders and 1.50v on the latter.

Weird thing is, they're exactly the same price :confused:

In real-world terms though what are the differences? Heat spreaders are rather self explanatory but what do XMP and 1.65v bring to the table?

Cheers.

2. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

They are essentially the exact same thing, except that the 1.5v set complies with the Sandy Bridge memory voltage specification; the 1.65v set will have been for the older P55 dual channel architecture.

Both sets have exactly the same heat spreaders, just a different label design. ;)

Get the 1.5v kit since it's a newer revision of the same stuff. :thumb:

3. dBass

dBass What's a Dremel?

Make sure you check the labelled voltages of the sticks when you get them as the last time I bought some of that RAM the voltage was different to the one listed on the store's website.

4. ChildOfMana

Well that clears it up a little then. Thanks LennyRhys.

I take it XMP (or the lack of it) doesn't make a difference then?

Also - and this really is just out of curiosity as obviouly I won't be doing this, but - could you mix and match these DIMMs if for some reason you wanted to? Would they work together, or would it cause problems?

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

XMP stands for "Extreme Memory profile" and in this case it's meaningless. Usually you'll find that a module is rated at 1333MHz but has an XMP of 1600MHz, as is the case with the 1.65v set here, because 1600MHz wasn't "officially" supported by the motherboards; but since they both do 1600MHz there isn't really much to it.

You probably could mix and match them but there's no guarantee it would work since they are different revisions of the same kit so there's a slim chance they might have different SPD data (which is the config they default to: speed, timings, voltage etc).

ChildOfMana likes this.
  6. ChildOfMana

Cool thanks for clearing that up. I was pondering over those two DIMMs for ages lol!