1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Different Types of Switches [Help]

Discussion in 'Modding' started by WiK1d, 17 Sep 2008.

1. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, I need your help with some stuff.

I want to build three kinds of switches, one that reacts to light, one that reacts to sound, one that activates wireless. Actually, I want another one that activates every X minutes.

So what I want is a thing that will act as a switch, but according to the top things.

1) The first one must be some sort of photodiode. It must activate when a sudden burst of light is found, like lightning for example

2) This one must activate when there is a loud sound, like a glass breaking.

3) I don't know what the best method for this will be, RF? I was thinking something like the remote of a electric gate or something.

4) I assume on would use a 555 Timer and RC-Time values here?

Can anyone point me in the right direction or help me design the circuits? Will I be using relays for this project?

2. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

The fourth is easy (the cheapskate way)

Buy an analogue alarm clock, but have pins coming up at certain intervals, and attach a wire to the minutes hand, so the circuit is complete only for that miunte :)

3. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

Oh, no, you misunderstood my question. I want it to activate every X interval, not at a certain time period. I want it to close the switch every 5 minutes for example.

Edit: Oh wait, I misunderstood your answer. That way could work, but I'm looking for something electronic

Very good idea though, I would never have thought of that :p

4. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

555 plus random electronic components is actually cheaper. :p

Transistors are your switches obviously.

Also you can use a pair of headphones for #2 as they work as microphones as well.

I'll let someone techie answer this though.

5. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

Anyone else? :)

6. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

You could use a 555 monostable arrangement for the first 2, not sure about the third and you'd use a 555 astable for the last one. Gimme a day or so and i'll have the schematics for ya :) im off out to get drunk ya see!

7. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Do you want the switches to stay activated after the flash/noise or just be on for the duration of the flash/noise?

8. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

It just has to close and open, like a push to make switch.

9. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

well then get hold of an LDR (light dependant resistor) for that part, they're not too hard to find

10. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

Most of them are figured out here already:

1) ldr + transistor

2) microphone + transistor

4) 555 timer circuit

All of these can circuits can have a little vr so the sensitivity of the first two and the time periods of #4 are adjustable, but i dunno what you want with #3 :confused:

There's that much RF everywhere that if it was just an RF detector circuit, it would always be on, unless you are in a faraday cage or something like that. Did you want an infra red detector so you can trigger a switch by using any household remote control maybe?

11. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

Okay that would be fantastic!

I know what the main components of the above mentioned are, but I have NO idea how to put it together, that's why I asked if anyone here can help me out.

And with RF I was thinking something in the line of an Electric Gate remote + receiver. I know you get 1-4 channel remotes, all you have to do is change the dip-switches in the remote to comply with the receiver. But I was hoping there's a cheaper method than buying a kit.

EDIT: Another thing, these circuits need to run off of 9V or 6V preferably.

Last edited: 19 Sep 2008
  12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The cheapest wireless one is probably a doorbell, I've seen them for under £10.

First thought for the light/noise switch was a comparator, using either an op-amp or a true comparator IC driving a switcher transistor. A 555 has a comparator with hysteresis built-in, will sink/source plenty of current, and saves a few components.

13. WiK1d

WiK1d What's a Dremel?

Thanks for those links cpemma, I'll have a look at them. And the doorbell is a great idea! I think I will go for that!