1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Digg up a del.icio.us desktop

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 26 Aug 2005.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

what, no screenshot? :p

ffdshow + ac3filter + zoomplayer (or media player classic if you prefer)

3. TheSpoonman

TheSpoonman What's a Dremel?

So, I'm curious as to why you reinstall your desktop every 6 months?

4. Lithium

Lithium super spunk

Quality :hehe:

Yeah I wanna see a screen shot too.

5. :: kna ::

:: kna :: POCOYO! Moderator

The same reason you throw out those old jars at the back of the fridge, time to clear out all that old rubbish.

6. Will

Will Beware the judderman...

Just got the same 'Vista Inspirat' shell pack for XP, along with the dock thingy...takes some getting used to, but it looks very pretty and is very intuitive to use (cue for the mac zealots to start harping about the wonders of the dock). Me likes :thumb:

7. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

If you are going to reinstall OS on the same system every few months. Then why not take an Image, Right after a fresh install. (when all your desktop thingamagys are all the way you like them)

This article reminds me of when I bought my Powerbook. Except there was no need to surf for hours, it was all already there.

But as much fun the little widgets are at first, they quickly become annoying and even irritating.

For my desktop I like:
    - Nice background picture (car, babe, nature, ..)
    - Disks (HD and extern HD)
    - 1 Folder, holding a bunch of folders (usually 1 folder per project and a junkfolder)
    - Dock on bottom, minimum of junk

My Dock will hold
    - Finder (cant remove this)
    - Applications to "view" files: MPlayer, Preview, Textedit
    - Applications I use daily: Firefox, MSN, Entourage (outlook), iTunes, iCal
    - System preps (cant remove this)
    - Folder with subfolders with shortcuts to all programs (if you click and hold it looks a bit like the start > programs)

I like it as clean and mimimalistic as possible. My programs-folder is also nicely organised with subfolders per "group" of programs (example; Office, Games, Internet, Players, ...)

I also try to use as much opensource software as possible. Openoffice, Gimp, MPlayer

L

8. kempez

kempez modding again!

The XP link doesn't work for me now :(

It did earlier then its stoppped working. Anyone else? :duh:

9. RTT

RTT #parp

Works for me mate (welcome to the forums btw ;))

10. kempez

kempez modding again!

Works now. Must have been a temp glitch.

Thanks mate - like the forums but mostly come to Bit-Tech for the excellent news :D

EDIT: Got it - looks sweet :D

Last edited: 26 Aug 2005
  11. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D I absolutely love that article! It sent me in the right direction for everything I saw on other people's desktops but could never find for myself! Now I can customise my desktop to endless depths and I find myself lacking space for all those cool Konfabulator widgets! Excellent read and fantastic tips! :thumb:

12. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

Screenie!
    Just installed same visual style and it's gorgeous! I still find the black taskbar a bit too dark, but I think it's probably my monitor. Great article :)

<A88>

13. :: kna ::

14. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

hmm, whatever floats your boat i guess, definately not for me tho :p

15. haha kna, love "shite" folder on your desktop!

16. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Yes, a bit curious about "shite", but moreso of the on-screen keyboard. Oh I tried installing something using that some time ago... god did that hurt.

I keep having this quirky thing with objectdock happening... it's fine for a while, but at some point it always starts trying to load itself twice at startup, and then tells me something about it not closing down right. I've got a feeling it's more to do with my... ermm... special copy of windows rather than my special copy of objectdock plus (and in any case I don't use the plus features, I really should try a more legit standard copy and see how my luck goes). That and I can't seem to find a place I really like for it. Bottom it hits the start menu, right and I can't see scroll bars, left and various text on websites gets cut off and top is both wierd and makes it near impossible to type in addresses. I should ponder that more when it's NOT 4am.

Still, nice article. All those fun featues making things actually useful. I used to go nuts with a Samurize config but I had like 400 meters so my boot time was slow as hell. That said, it's bitchin' software, to be frank.

17. :: kna ::

My Mac keyboard doesn't have a PrtSc button so it was the quickest way of taking a screenshot.. :wallbash:

18. smoguzbenjamin

smoguzbenjamin "That guy"

LOL :hehe: When I perfect my desktop (still working on that) I'll post a screenshot here :)

19. Da_BaCoN

Da_BaCoN Minimodder

question: what did you do about the default system icons? i see you've got different icons being used on the dock, but what about just the "regular" icons?

20. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.suxeh.net/bigz/new-desktop.jpg

that's my current desktop - I was bored last night and thought I'd have a mess with the Konfab and Object Dock - it's a lot better than it used to be, resource wise. :)

Tags: Add Tags