1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics DirectX 10 Cards

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by SanguineRaven, 31 Aug 2006.

1. SanguineRaven

SanguineRaven What's a Dremel?

Does anyone have any idea when the next generation of video cards (supporting DirectX 10) are expected to be released? With Vista set for early 2007 I am guessing the cards will be around then but I really need to upgrade soon and don't know if I can wait that long, but don't want to have to shell out a few months later for a DX10 compatible card.

2. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Games aren't going to require DX10 for quite a long time, even if they'll support it. AFAIK, many current games only require DX7, and we've had DX9 cards out for quite a number of years now.

So I wouldn't worry about it too much. You can bet that there'll be PRs when a company is preparing to ship a DX10 card.

Post 8000 :rock:

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I'd tend to agree tbh - although there's a real trend towards waiting for DX10 atm, games that have large benefits won't be numerous for a good while, and let's face it - DX9 is hardly looking dated.

If you badly need an upgrade, just do it, if you go for a C2D setup, you can be assured it won't be completely outdated next year, and you can just grab yourself a DX10 card when it's really needed. :)

Tags: