1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Display Calibration device

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by salesman, 27 May 2012.

1. salesman

salesman Minimodder

I have a dell U2410 had it for close to a year. I have been just running with the preset mode, Adobe RGB, which has been fine for me, however, I am looking to get the monitor color calibrated and I really can't find a good guide or an easy to use device which isn't too expensive, like $200ish.

I have seen two different devices, Spyder and Xrite, but there is so many different versions, and kits and what not. I just want something simple that is going to be accurate in color reproduction.

If you guys could steer me in the right direction towards a good device I would greatly appreciate it.

Oh and I use my computer for gaming . . . mostly . . .

Also if I use this device would I be adjusting the monitor settings? That way its color setting is across the board for all devices I have plugged in?

Again thanks for the help.

2. Taniniver

Taniniver Minimodder

I got the Spyder 3 Pro myself - shop around though, you can often find the products cheaper if you don't buy direct from DataColor. I'm in the UK so don't have any recommendations for US based stores, I guess others here can provide those.

In terms of how this one works, you tweak some settings on the display (the brightness, contrast and colour temp mainly) but the majority of the correction comes from the software generating and loading a custom ICM profile, so the colours would only be accurate when the PC is driving the display.

There are solutions out there that let you calibrate just using the controls on the device itself, but they tend to be more expensive, I don't have details about them. Datacolor I think mention it under the heading of "TV Calibration" which is an upgrade, even from the "Elite" version of the software.

3. salesman

salesman Minimodder

Thanks I appreciate it.

4. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

For gaming, there is absolutely no need for calibration beyond the inbuilt profiles whatsoever. Nothing in a game is realistic.

It helps with everything else though.

Given a choice between the Spyder 3 Pro and the X-Rite i1 Display Pro.. I'd get the i1 display pro every time.

Both a suitable for wide gamut screens, and both will work well. It's a budget issue.

I regularly recommend both, and have used both, and both will serve you well.

I prefer the i1 Display Pro however, as it seems better able to handle wider gamuts, has solid, and intuitive software, and offers great value for money with great after sales support.

Don't discount the Spyder 3 Pro though... it works well.

5. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

When I was at college they used one of these

6. salesman

salesman Minimodder

Thanks Pookey, I will look at the i1.

7. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

They work, but I've had limited success. No two calibrations were the same, and they don't work too well with high gamut screens, and the software is very basic. You get what you pay for.