1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Display driver crashing

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by creative, 18 Aug 2015.

1. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

I'm guessing you've had the SLI working fine before?

Try dropping the PCI-E down to 2.0 from 3.0 in the bios. When I was trying to get mine working initially, someone on here suggested it and it seemed to help stabilise things.

After that, I'm all out of ideas, and would probably blame dodgy nvidia drivers, you're certainly not the only one having problems with SLI.

2. creative

creative 500rwhp

hmmmm Maybe its the bios. I may roll it back one and see what happens. It was running fine when I first put them in together and I have done a bios update since then.

will report back but thanks for the ideas so far!

3. TheMadDutchDude

TheMadDutchDude The Flying Dutchman

This is all indicating a driver issue to me.

4. creative

creative 500rwhp

Thought I would look at this again.

Having updated everything driver wise again including fresh install of the latest Nvidia driver I still get crashes when in SLI.

I have sat and thought about what might of changed with the computer and after trying out various online power calculators I suspect it may be a power issue and the cause may of been when I installed the AIO cooler unit. Calculators put my power use between 600 and 700w depending on which one I use. I run an OCZ zt 650w unit and as with all things computer related its a lottery when it comes to components and their efficiency.

a basic run on hardware down is:
    6 x HDD's
    6 x 140mm fans
    AIO cooler
    4670k OC to 4.4Ghz
    2 x gtx 660 oc editions in sli
    2 x 4gb 2133mhz ddr3 in xmp profile

I suspect putting the AIO cooler just tipped the power supply over the edge and it cant cope.

So I guess..... what power supply should I go for? Any recommendations?

5. creative

creative 500rwhp

New power supply in and it still crashes under SLI.

whilst I had my rig apart I redid the TIM on both cards, just in case ( glad I did as it was all dried out and took some shifting! ) .

Next will be trying different PCIe lanes and also individually to see I anything happens. with either the board or a failing card.

6. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Have you tried removing the OC from the CPU?

7. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I was just thinking the same thing. Have been having similar issues myself of recent.

My PC runs perfectly with the CPU at 4.6ghz in all manner of programs and games - I've been running at this overclock for well over a year and no crashes. With SLI on it still works great until I play GTA V where it doesn't take long for the game to lockup and I have to hard reboot.

With SLI off, the game runs perfectly well on either of the cards (luckily I can turn off PCI lanes, so it's easy for me to test). I was tearing my hair out trying to fix it but nothing worked.

Out of desparation I removed all overclocks and tested it and it worked fine. I eventually got it back to an overclock of 4.5ghz on the CPU. For some reason GTA V with SLI on doesn't like the 4.6ghz overclock.

Saying all of that, I've had to go back to Windows 8.1 from 10 to get it to run anyway - I have two monitors connected; one I game on and one I browse on. In windows 10 the computer will crash while gaming at any random point. If I disable the 2nd monitor it all works perfectly again. Thankfully on Windows 8.1 I can run it with the 2nd monitor enabled.

8. creative

creative 500rwhp

yep.

I have removed all overclocks on both the cards and the cpu to test. I get an instant lockup in Furmark.

Pulled each card and tested each one in the PCIe slot one. Both ran at 56deg at full load for 10 - 15min without a crash.

Next to try is different PCIe slots but I need a longer SLI bridge for that. The one I have is marginally too short... of course. :D I will be trying in slot 1 and 3 to see if slot 2 has an issue. I could try 2 and 3 but the cards are uber close together and may struggle with air flow but we will see.

I have also rolled the Bios back one version to see if thats what did it and no joy there either.

I also went for a CoolerMaster V1000 PSU so plenty of juice now.

Last edited: 22 Sep 2015
  9. creative

creative 500rwhp

I'm at a loss now. Here is what I have done so far:

* New SLI bridge - no change
    * Ran the cards in PCIe 1 and 3 and they wouldnt sli. They were recognised but the sli option wasnt available in nvidia control.
    * Removed Geforce Experience.
    * Fresh install of drivers
    * Individual cards run fine on their own at stock speeds and OC'd
    * Removed all OC's on the cards and the cpu
    * Bios updated and reverted to previous version
    * Bigger power supply
    * Temps are fine both on cpu and cards.
    * Memtest has no errors.

I think I can rule out Hardware as individually everything is perfect with zero errors/crashes/anything... It will just not run games in SLI. Normal usage under SLI is fine and SLI turns on and off without issue.

The crashes are different now though. Its a complete lockup for a couple of minutes after playing for 5 minutes. Sound is still playing whilst locked up. After a few minutes, the game closes. No pop up to say the display driver has recovered or anything like that. Event manager is showing errors ( which I can put here if needed) that arnt critical.

Any suggestions chaps?

10. Cerberus90

Cerberus90 Car Spannerer

Just to check, when you're doing fresh driver installs, are you using DDU in safe mode to fully remove the drivers?

I had issues with my 660s in SLI when I didn't use DDU.

11. Chris_Waddle

Chris_Waddle Loving my new digital pinball machine

I meant to reply again to this as I am still having issues with SLI when gaming (even after reverting back to windows 8.1)

The SLI hotfix drivers worked for me, but the latest release (355.98) don't. I get the same problem in that after a while the game locks up, black screen, I can hear the game sound but nothing will work except for a hard reset.

I've found that there are some new GameWorks drivers (356.04 - linky) which have an enhancement for SLI. I haven't had chance to install them yet as I plan on re-installing Windows 10 tonight.
    From what I have read about them, they are helping some people

12. creative

creative 500rwhp

Yes I have... but...

Just done it again and used the latest Nvidia drivers downloaded direct from Nvidia that came out a day or so ago....

No crash!

Just running Furmark to see what happens without any OC on the cards.

Edit:

Result!

No crashing on the stock speeds for 20min under furmark and good temps of 71deg on card 2 and 65deg on card 1 at full load.

Redid the OC on the cards via MSI afterburner and got a nice stable clock locked in now.

At last! I can enjoy my gaming again in SLI!

EDIT 2:
    Spoke to soon. :D 10min into witcher 3 and bang.. a lockup.

event log shows:
    and

This is a driver issue isnt it? It has to be! :wallbash:

Last edited: 1 Oct 2015