1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motherboards Dissapointed with mITX boards?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by silk186, 7 May 2018.

1. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Just because something isn't technically a premium feature doesn't mean that having more of them wouldn't cost more though. Another example would be a car with 7 seats over 5, the seats aren't a premium item but having 7 over 5 is, hence the additional costs. If you need 7 seats (which the majority of people don't) you'll pay the additional costs to have them.

I would guess for most users of the mITX platform 4 USB ports is enough, which pushes anything above 4 into the 'luxury' feature set.

2. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I have 7!

3. Anfield

Anfield Multimodder

Even If we just accept that it then just leads to the next problem, which is that mainboard manufacturers are horrible at offering a decent selection of ITX / mATX boards while they keep carpet bombing the market with ATX boards that are pointless due to the massive PCI-e lane restrictions present with all mainstream CPUs.

4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

To wade in on the hub debate, I use a powered USB 3.0 hub because it actually makes my build neater. Rather than having a shedload of cables running from my keyboard, trackball, scanner, card reader, graphics tablet and so forth to my desktop - cables which will never reach anyway, because my desktop's on the floor and I have a convertible sit/stand desk - I have a shedload of cables running to the hub on the top of my desk, neatly hidden away behind the monitor, and one cable running to the desktop (plus another to a power socket, admittedly.)

Last edited: 10 May 2018
    bawjaws likes this.
  5. silk186

silk186 Derp

I was thinking about this a bit more as the hub can be hidden. Still, I would prefer that it is my choice. Especially as I've found in the past the hubs and extension wires have cause issue of devices disconnecting.

I was thinking on this a bit more, and a usb 3.1 or similar hub should be able to ditch the power cable.

Last edited: 11 May 2018