1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Distilled Water

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by naylormat, 22 Jun 2009.

1. naylormat

naylormat What's a Dremel?

Iv just tried hunting round work, n some other various supermarkets to no avail.

So wheres the best place to pick up a coulple oh bottles in the good ol uk ?

where u guys all get yours from ?

2. Rkiver

Rkiver Cybernetic Spine

The chemists tends to stock some, as does any garage as it is used in car batteries.

3. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Try Asda, if it's anything like the Wal-Marts we have around here, then they should be selling tons of distilled water. It's what I buy and drink. :thumb:

I'm also not sure how this fits into the 'hardware' subforum within the 'technology' section. :confused:

4. capnPedro

capnPedro Hacker. Maker. Engineer.

Boyes / Wilkinsons. (in the car department, probably)

Last edited: 22 Jun 2009
  5. Pookeyhead

Pookeyhead It's big, and it's clever.

Halfords sell it. Any motor store will... as "Battery top up fluid"... same thing. Distilled water.

If you just mean bottled drinking water, then that's very bad advice.... as it has a very high mineral content depending on where it came from, and is not necessarily distilled water at all.

6. naylormat

lol, yeh, i was looking round ASDA this morning, n no such look.

The staff their where definitely no help, what with not being able to distinguish between distiled and mineral watter. Grrr

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

No but the (V) large Asda near me sells distilled water for batteries or for Ironing.

8. naylormat

Didn't have any luck with wilkinsons / Halfords etc.

All deionized

Managed to get some is asda though :) Asked at their pharmacy n got some orders in, picked it up already. Can finish building me comp when me case comes back tomorrow . yay

chears guys

9. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

There is no appreciable difference between distilled and de-ionised water, really.

Distilled water is water that has virtually all of its impurities removed through distillation: boiling the water and then condensing the steam into a clean container, leaving most if not all solid contaminants behind.

Deionisation is a process which uses specially-manufactured ion exchange resins which bind to and filter out the mineral salts from water. Because the majority of water impurities are dissolved salts, deionisation produces a high purity water that is generally similar to distilled water. It does not significantly remove uncharged organic molecules, viruses or bacteria, except by incidental trapping in the resin, but if you boil it that eliminates any critters.

More important is to flush out and clean your watercooling components. Especially radiators have all sorts of crud in them, even fresh out of the factory. My BIX included three small dead spiders.

10. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

Watecooling, mate.

11. capnPedro

Hence it was moved to "Cooling"!

12. naylormat

lol, i got 5 liters oh stuff. so plenty for good ol rinsing with :)

13. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Please be aware that distilled H20 as a long term beverage will not support human metabolism. Any and all of the trace minerals necessary for humans are absent.

Distilled is proper for H20 cooling - leaves no residue except what it picks up from tubing, blocks, and res.

Spring H20 and Reverse Osmosis H20 are for people.

john

14. rickysio

rickysio N900 | HJE900

If I use pure unadulated NEWater it'd be awesome... If I can get my hands on the pure source, that is. The bottled water are mixed with reservoir water due to the purity being too high. ;p

15. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

You should also remember that distilled water will become mildly acidic due to absorbtion of Carbon Dioxide. It will dissolve into the water forming Carbonic Acid, its so weak that for all common intents and purposes its irrelevant but if you're doing chemical analysis with highly sensitive equipment it is noticable.

Oh and I agree about not drinking distilled water in large quantities, its basically the reverse of drinking too much sea water which definitely isn't a good idea.

16. capnPedro