1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY Classic Computing question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Tsen, 28 Jul 2008.

1. Tsen

Tsen Steeped In Romance

Okay, so I guess this is the best place for this sort of question. So I feel like I'd learn a lot from getting back to classic computers and working with them for a while to get a better feel for hardware and software on a really intimate and simple level. But obviously I can't afford to buy an Apple I, as there's only fifty or so in existence, and even Apple II's are $200 for a working system (though I'm sure I can find a cheaper one if I look long enough).

To cut to the chase, though, I was wondering if it was possible to do something like a Ben Heck project and reconstruct one on a smaller scale using PCB and modern chips. The only thing is, I'm not sure if, for example, there's a 1 Mhz processor produced anymore that would have a compatible architecture. I'd gladly use a faster processor, so long as it's compatible with the OS's of the time. Possible, or not? Either way I'll be buying a Commodore 64 and an Apple II eventually, but I'd like to just build something as a learning project.

2. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

3. Tsen

Tsen Steeped In Romance

Beautiful! Thanks, I'd tried googling, but I was having a hard time finding circuit diagrams and parts lists.