1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding DIY Cnc router - finnished, for now!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by kong, 13 May 2003.

1. Jordanis3r

Jordanis3r Jigsaw Master

wow - is all i can say!

a very well put together project - well done!

what are you goin gto do with ure cnc machine now:D??
    any plans?

2. kong

kong cnc-guy

Oooh, I think I will try too make some money with it! Dunno what to make yet, maybe some custom fan grills first, maybe bung 'em on e-bay. I will need a bit of practice first though!

3. bard

bard Modding isn't what it used to be

That is just amazing, kong! Have you made the mounting bracket for a router yet? And how about the depth? You know, when you use a router, you can press it down to make a deeper hole. Can this machine do that?
    [EDIT] By looking at the pics and videos, I see that it can [/EDIT]

Maybe you can make fan grills cheap for us fellow bit-techers, then? That would be great. I guess you can do window etches and things like that too... Just a thought.

:thumb:

4. kong

kong cnc-guy

The router mount is there in the last photo. It's holding the pen at the mo! I have not done a close up yet, tbh it's the only part of the machine I had to bodge. Once the machine is up and running, I intend to get some 1/2" aluminium, and have the machine cut a nice accurate bracket for itself!
    There is a photo somewhere pf the router, it is not a plunging type, so I have removed the motor and that is all I will use. The up/down motion is controlled by the machine. If you watched the videos you will see the pen move up and down so the lines don't cross each other.
    As for fan grills, they are cheap enough to buy already, so I'm thinking of doing something a bit different. Of course, it could all go pear shaped when I finally get the new motor and do some test cuts, so we'll all have to wait and see!

5. olv

olv he's so bright

fans grills arn't cheap! most of them are about £10-£15 for 1!!!!!!!

6. kong

kong cnc-guy

Cripes, your right! I was looking at them on kustomPCs the other day, and just saw the £4 price, but I just checked and they are acrylic! Aluminium ones are much more! In that case, I'm definately making some!

7. olv

olv he's so bright

let us know when your taking orders :thumb:

8. kong

kong cnc-guy

Well lets see how it pans out, but get yer DXF's ready!

9. olv

olv he's so bright

whats a DXF so i can get mine ready lol :lol:

10. Snood

Snood What's a Dremel?

you must be using a fairly thin milling bit to enable you to get sharp angles??? what size will you be using??

Snood

PS...i see some custom grills coming my way :D

11. kong

kong cnc-guy

Oh, sorry! DXF is a Cad format. So you'll need a cad program. If you hunt around google, there are some freebies. Also try magazine disks. Just make sure it's 2d, coz I don't have any 3d cnc software yet (toooo expensive!).

12. kong

kong cnc-guy

Snood, I can get bits down to 1/16" to fit the router. The problem is they only cut about 5mm deep, so no good for big stuff.
    edit: just found some 1mm ones, but that's pushing it! I see broken bits flying about the shed!

Last edited: 27 May 2003
  13. olv

olv he's so bright

how does this DXF format work? can it convert from image files or do u have to be able to draw it in CAD? sounds complex

my brain is already starting to melt at the thought lol

14. kong

kong cnc-guy

There are converters out there, but you'll have to search. It would be best if you can draw in cad, that way your measurements will be accurate and to scale.
    If you get stuck, just bung a link to the picture and I'll take a look.
    Give me a minute and I'll post an outline for a grill in DXF.

15. olv

olv he's so bright

i was planning on something along the lines of my avatar as it will go nicely with my project :) thats just rough version for the moment though

16. kong

kong cnc-guy

Hmm, not much airflow then?!
    Anyhow, here's the link to a bare grill in dxf format. Just use save as. You can then open it in any cad app. It's just to give you an idea, of course you can go with anything really.

17. Plasma

Plasma What's a Dremel?

*Going ahead designing grill* /me uses AutoCAD. Would you buy matieral yourself, or do we need to supply? About what do you think it will cost per grill?

18. kong

kong cnc-guy

Sorry guys, I'm sure this is not the time/place to be discussing this, I don't want to get kicked off the boards! I haven't even made a cut yet, so no details yet!

19. olv

olv he's so bright

haha i just spent half an hour downloading some 90mb turbo cad proffessional trial and then found out that u can open them in paint shop pro lol :lol:

20. kong

kong cnc-guy

Use the turbocad, much better.