1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tips diy ring flash, and print tip

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by MechDoc02, 15 Jul 2011.

1. MechDoc02

MechDoc02 What's a Dremel?

A couple of days ago I decided to actually build a ring flash for my camera, mostly for macro photography, or at least for flower close-ups. I needed the brightness of a strobe. Where I live there's usually wind, so long exposure times won't fly. But high f-stops are necessary to get any depth of field. So inexpensive ring lights were out, and I just didn't feel like spending $400 for the real thing. I'd already seen umpteen websites offering instructions for making a ring flash, so went with that.

This post isn't intended to tell you how to construct a ring flash. Search on "diy ring flash" and you'll find plenty of those. I just wanted to show that the ring flash I made actually does work.

Here's a photo of the assembly:

[​IMG][/url] DSC02198_IJFR_800 by MechDoc, on Flickr[/IMG]

It probably would have been better to use an inexpensive plastic bowl, as most of the instructions specify. I instead used a bowl as a form for fiberglass, ditto on the inside bowl. It probably would have been better to glue the aluminum foil on afterwards with a spray-on glue, but I put mine on while the epoxy for the fiberglass was still mostly liquid. Etc. But it does work, and here's some proof:

[​IMG][/url] DSC02196_IJFR_800 by MechDoc, on Flickr[/IMG]

This photo is of a drink coaster, standing almost on edge. F-stop of 29.

Here are a couple more I took this morning out in the yard:

[​IMG][/url] DSC02203_IJFR_800 by MechDoc, on Flickr[/IMG]

[​IMG][/url] DSC02205_IJFR_800 by MechDoc, on Flickr[/IMG]

Both of the above with f-stop of 29.

Another finding: I've been covering inkjet-printed photos with nonglare film. I got mine from Amazon, a roll 18" x 65 ft for about $40. It can be tricky to apply without getting air pockets, but one soon learns a technique, and the results are great. Since the surface won't be glossy anyway, there's no good reason to use glossy paper. I just use a premium matte paper. Kills reflections while protecting the photo.

Next is for me to make some simple wood strips that will be suitable as frames, then get some backing, and hang the photos I like best.