1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do Mobile phone Cashback deals really work???

Discussion in 'General' started by khalilm, 20 Jun 2008.

1. khalilm

khalilm What's a Dremel?

Hi,

Interested in hearing views from others if mobile phone cashback deals really work, we have seen these posted all over the place from 1/2 price line rental (via cashback redemption) to full 12 montsh free line rental (via cashback redemption). Let me know your thoughts

2. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

They're normally set up with such draconian 'rules' that claiming your cashback is more hassle than the money's worth.
    That's what these companies rely on - that most people won't bother, or will forget.

Any company that offers this gets automatically boycotted by me.

3. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

My other half is on a cashback deal here and I have used them before also.
    They are a little bit of a pain in the fact that you have to send a copy of the bill with a voucher but it's really not particularly difficult work.

I believe the one on DialaPhone are the better deals because you don't loose the rest of your cash back possibilities if you miss a voucher, unlike other companies (one stop phone shop).

4. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

I've been on cashback with O2/Carphone Warehouse for about two years now and never had any trouble.
    A friend got a Virgin contract through e2save, and they gave him the first six months back as promised as well.
    You do hear stories of some being totally useless though, so watch out.

Which company are you considering at the moment?

5. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

The one I was on last year with P4U never panned out. We were told that every 3 months we just need to bring the 3 months bills into the store where we took out the contract to get a cheque for the bills until the life of the contract was up (2nd contract phone).

After 3 months, we took the first 3 months bills in only to be told that they haven't done that cash back deal for well over a year and that we had to send the form which we were given with the contract off (problem is we were not given a form when we took the contract out) to the head office and that the person who sold us the contract no longer worked there.

I'd be very wary of cash back deals.

6. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

I'm on my 4th cashback deal, and I've never had a problem - apart from forgetting to send the right form back at the right time.

In fact, for my latest deal, it wasn't a cashback deal at all, but I haggled and got £90 off in three installments. Filled in my form a month ago, and received the full £90 back all at once.

I'm sure there are shysters out there, but if you are unsure, get your arse covered before you start your contract (or ASAP). Providing you opt for an established company and read the rules, it's fairly risk-free.

The Small Claims Court is there to pick up the pieces.

Note: you can't simply haggle the gross price down instead of cashback. The retailer is offering the cashback, not the airtime provider. In my case, O2 want £35/mo from me regardless, but it is CPW that pay me my cashback (from *their* profits).

7. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

orange caught me out bigtime and wouldn't cough up.

i no longer do business with orange in any way shape or form after i paid off my contract. i don't like it when people try and wiggle out of the terms and conditions of the contract they offer in the first place, a bit like banks who threaten to forclose your account when your in your 2nd year of uni, and at the end of a term so you are in the red to the tune of 1500 quid.

8. mushky

mushky gimme snails

They are very shakey ground. Sometimes you get something back, sometimes not. That's why they do them instead of just offering a cheaper amount.

Years ago I saved up 15 bills from BT cellnet (old O2) to send off for the cashback, only to be told that the "promotions company" who were offering that deal had gone bankrupt and BT cellnet were not liable. I only ever dealt with, and ordered the phone through BT cellnet.
    Funnily enough they didn't get the £200 outstanding on my account.

9. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

I had one with one stop phone shop (carphonewarehouse) which worked though it did have the draconian rules for when the form had to be sent off, i did get my money back though.

Moriquendi