1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films Do the movie re-makes want to stop

Discussion in 'General' started by D3s3rt_F0x, 10 Mar 2009.

1. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Bit of a rant I suppose but they really want to stop re-making naff copies of good older movies, if they want to re-make a crap movie by all means go ahead if you make it better but dont touch the classics.

The latest one getting a face lift is to be Total Recall and believed to be directed by Neal H Moritz of I Am Legend and Prison Break fame, who thinks technology has come far enough to make the movie look how it should of the first time round. I mean come on what an idiot, the reason why Total Recall done so well was because of the way the effects looked and the story behind it etc.

While that is a massive travesty there is a much bigger one of biblical proportions, one that will destroy my will to see any movie ever again, one that even if we forget all the other tripe Peter Jackson has made means he should be shot. Yes you know what movie I'm talking about.....the iconic british classic The Dambusters.

I mean why The Dambusters? Why ruin a perfectly excellent british film that simply cant be bettered, yes it might be in colour, yes it might be better looking with better visual effects, but will that make it any better? NO!!!! I mean where the hell are they going to get a few Lancasters from, theres only 2 left flying in the world and one of thems in Canada.

Now this is the end of my rant but is there anything we can do about it.

2. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

Funny you should start this thread; I watched Superman Returns last night and it just felt like a remake of the original, with characters ripped wholesale from previous movies and slightly different set-pieces.

I'm all for re-imaginings á la Batman Begins/Dark Knight that take the franchise somewhere different, but when it's just an impotent and lazy milking, it just makes me bored.

3. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I don't mind remakes so much, as long as they build upon the original film or series. Battlestar Galactica is a good example of how it should be done.

The thing that really annoys me is the Americanisation of everything by Hollywood. The Italian Job and The War of the Worlds are really upsetting to see re-located North America. Why do it when the book it's based on had cylinders landing on Horsell Common, near Woking?

To be honest, a remake of the Dambusters would be okay so long as it remains a British film, with Lancasters not B24 Liberators attacking dams in the Ruhr valley.

4. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

+1.

Unchanged remakes are definitely a load of ass.

Total Recall and Dambusters from the first post makes the bile of hatred rise a long way for me - Recall is an Arnie classic, and it's still looking pretty good now, and Dambusters is just a sacred thing which should never be touched. Ever.

A lot of the time I think that the modern trend of CGI everything will look like dogshit in 10 years. The latest Star Wars episodes spring to mind, compare that with how good The Dark Knight looked, and I can imagine us watching almost all the films watched in the last 5 years and giving a big groan as to how truly awful it looks.

5. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

You know it won't be. It'll be modern stealth bombers, some english blokes dressed up as 'ze Germans', with Tom Cruise or somesuch as the hero.

Probably with one of the Baldwin brothers thrown in for good measure.

6. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I have faith the Dambusters remake will be at least okay, it is big PJ: not exactly you're typical all American hollywood bigshot. Before LOTR all he mostly made were low-budget horror films.

Some remakes I regard quite highly: Dawn of the Dead was a damn good film, I actually enjoyed it more than the Romero one. Though true, many are pointless rehashes that add nothing to the original.

7. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

See I have no issue with that or refreshing a franchise which is what they did with BSG, what I cant stand is re-hasing classic movies thinking they can make them better, when it simply will be a travesty.

Think its first time we agreed on something lol

8. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Total Recall?
    Now that I am seriously sceptical of considering its one of my favourite films from the 80's.

As already said, so long as it takes it in a different direction like BSG or the new Batman films then I don't mind too much.

9. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

Not so much remakes, but VG>Film... and for that ... anything Uwe Boll has ever breathed on.

Watched FarCry the other day.... I think some of my soul left me.

10. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

I haven't seen it yet but has anyone seen the remake of 'Day the Earth Stood Still'?
    The trailers on the TV don't seem to represent the original movie at all. Klatuu never blew up squat!

john

11. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

It's not terrible. The ending is pretty bad. It kind of just stops. Not nearly as good as the trailer made it out to be. I'd give it about a 5-6.

Edit: agreed a Total Recall remake could never live up to the original and will probably be crap.

Last edited: 11 Mar 2009
  12. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

what. i didn't even know about the total recall remake. the original is one of my favorite movies of all time (it seems i'm not the only one here who thinks so either) so... urrrrgh. dreading it.

as a whole, i despise remakes. just seems like a massive waste of time and money.

13. Lorquis

Lorquis lorquisSpamCount++;

I actually quite like "Day the earth stood still" yeah it kinda just... stopped but it was good none the less and followed enough conventions from the original and still managed to modernize enough without losing the integrity of the 'brand'