1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors Do you think these bolts are alluminium

Discussion in 'General' started by CrapBag, 26 Feb 2019.

1. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I took my engineer cover off on my old Vauxhall so I could remove and clean the plugs when I was having starting issues but didn't put it back on straight away.

Yes you've guessed I put them somewhere safe so I wouldn't lose them, so safe that I need to buy a couple more.

They only hold a plastic cover onto the top of the engine, for aesthetics' id imagine, and im really not paying £6 for to silly bolts so I just want to buy something non specific but I don't want to put steel in if that's going to cause an issue, they are M6x18 torx but I'm quite happy with allen or a normal bolt.

This is the offending part complete with 1 year warranty lol.

2. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

As long as you have the right thread, material doesn't matter if they're not load-bearing. Put some anti-seize (copper slip, never-seez, super-high-spec-Molybdenun-Disulphide-based stuff, it'll all work the same) on them and you won't have issues when it comes to removing them again - good practice for any fastener that doesn't need to be threadlocked, dissimilar metals or not.

3. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

I have some moly grease I use when I refit soak plugs etc I'll use a bit of that thanks