1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage Does adding a drive and making it also W10 boot without wiping other drive cause driver conflict?

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by oscy, 1 Oct 2020.

1. oscy

oscy Modder

UPDATE: Yes... yes it does.

So is there a way to stop a drive starting up at boot?

===================================

I get driver conflict after a mobo upgrade, so I figured I may as well get an SSD if I have to reinstall Windows anyway. So I was thinking about how to move files then thought... do I even need to?

If I install Windows 10 on the SSD (so now both drives are W10) and just leave my original HDD as it is, would that be fine or would there still be conflict? Are drivers kinda tied to each boot drive? And would activating be a problem?

Last edited: 4 Oct 2020
  2. Osgeld

Osgeld Minimodder

no windows drivers are held in a database called the registry and upon setup the OS is assigned that location and does all its biz in there

but this also includes all your programs the only benifit you will have is your old data is still stored in a skeleton file structure, none of your old programs will magically work without reinstalling them to the new windows install's registry

3. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Activation depends on version and key type. If its OEM the mobo swap might complicate things, I assume it was for a different model? Retail won't be an issue. A physical key to type in, or a software certificate (from the free upgrade) activate in different ways.

Make sure you have a Microsoft account tied to your current install because you can't use the troubleshooter without being signed in, and you might need to use the troubleshooter to transfer the licence, which you can only do if your current hardware profile is registered to your MS account.

4. oscy

oscy Modder

So I'd still have to reinstall programs and move save folders and stuff. May as well format afterwards then!

I did that when I changed motherboard so I know the drill. The activation is from upgrading from Windows 7.

5. oscy

oscy Modder

Well, I just got a driver-related BSOD... so either the old Intel drivers (or something else) on my HDD is still conflicting with my new AMD motherboard or it's something else.

Is there a way to stop a drive starting up at boot? Since now it turns itself off after being idle due to being a secondary drive, maybe there's a way to start with it off.

6. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

Try entering the bios and if there's a hardware section you might be able to disable an hdd there rather than just unplugging it.

7. oscy

oscy Modder

Didn't see any option there.

8. VictorianBloke

A fresh install should be contained to the one drive, which suggests something else may be the cause.

Can you replicate the BSOD (does it happen every time you do something specific), or is it random? And does it throw you any error message each time that might give a clue as to the source of the issue?

Checking the error's listing in event viewer might help narrow it down to a specific device.

9. oscy

oscy Modder

It's a BSOD with different error names each time, but Google always says it's driver-related, and happens during boot once every 5-10 times, and only started happening when I upgraded the motherboard / CPU / RAM from Intel to AMD Ryzen.

I'd try removing the old HDD from boot order but MSI's BIOS is confusing. On the top it has a row of icons and names you can sort but no real explanation and none show my Toshiba HDD, and in the settings you can change the order but it can be different to the boot priority row at the top. 'Boot Manager' is also a sortable option but I'm never given a choice like I'm used to with dual boot. Example:

[​IMG]

10. VictorianBloke

Ah, sorry I misunderstood, didn't realise this was on boot up.

You should be able to disable the HDD under the BBS properties section to stop it ever showing on the boot list.

If it still happens when disabled, pop one of the sata cables out of the HDD and see if you still get the error's - just to make sure it's not been replicated on the SSD install

11. oscy

oscy Modder

Once I enabled hot swap (someone suggested enabling it), the HDD didn't show up. But the BSOD can be rare enough that it'll be a pain to isolate. I guess I just have to wait and see, format the HDD or live with it