1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant Does anybody else hate digital TV?

Discussion in 'General' started by daguuy, 13 Jan 2009.

1. daguuy

daguuy I hate lolcats

With my old analog TV, there would often be imperfections with the picture due to bad reception. I don't have cable/satellite and don't plan on getting it because I get all the shows I want off the air for free and because I can't afford to pay. Anyway, I don't mind all that stuff because I can still watch and enjoy the show.

And then there's digital broadcast. I've had a digital TV for a while now and it pisses me off. As you know, with digital TV, you either get a perfect picture or nothing, with no middle ground in between. I was watching a DVR recording of That 70's Show and the reception wasn't that great so every couple of seconds, the show would just skip a second. Not only did it skip most of the funny parts, but I couldn't enjoy the parts I did see because I was busy being pissed off.

Unfortunately this is the future of TV because the government is ****ing stupid and eliminating free analog TV and I'm pissed. Digital TV can go fudge itself:wallbash:

2. sad pand

sad pand What's a Dremel?

Get a satellite dish, get with the program.:rock:

3. DarkLord7854

DarkLord7854 What's a Dremel?

I feel for ya.. however we get free basic cable where I'm at and since my TV has a digital tuner, it doens't really affect me.. not that I ever watch the garbage on TV anyways, it's 70% commercials it seems.

4. naokaji

naokaji whatever

I have been living without a TV for one and a half years now and not missing it one bit.

5. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

Going on 6 here.

6. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

You just need better reception.

A better antenna can be bought for not too much, or you can make one very cheaply. You just need to know what frequency range the digital signal is being transmitted over.
    Oh, and if the recepetion in your area is bad enough, then you're going to need multiple antennas or an amplifier.

ninja edit: pfft @ no tv for years guys, you can't go anywhere without tvs in your face! Shopping centres, city streets, even elevators. Soon they'll be everywhere... if ads start playing on my phone i'm gonna lose it.

7. Bogomip

Bogomip ... Yo Momma

At the big digital changeover the signal strength of the digital channels its going to be ramped up apparantly so there shouldnt be many people unable to easily get the first 5 channels at least.

People who don't watch TV for adverts are really missing out on some quality programming. Im not saying all adverts are good, far from it, but some are very clever and funny, or just fun to watch.

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

What the hell is a TV?

Seriously, though. Better recieving equipment would help.

I don't own a TV, but I'm not going out of my way to avoid TV. I figured that's impossible, and since I like leaving my tin foil hat behind when I go outside..

9. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/28694

i don't own a tv either. but the folder full of 720p HDTV rips on my hard drive is getting quite large, and i do have a lovely 24" computer screen.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2009
  10. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

yeah i am still on anology tv here, as the areil is shot and i cant be arsed to ask the landlord to fix it.

I think i will upgrade to free to air sat here in the Uk at some point in the future, or go cable. so sun spots and clouds dont ruin my 2% of the week viewing tv. Dont know why i paid £140 for a license!

11. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

12. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Yeah the signal will increase in quality when the digital switchover happens. Personally I've got a crappy old analogue ariel in the roof, and as such didn't get half of freeview. So, not wanting to buy a new one, I set about fixing the problem, and blow me what 8 feet of tin foil doesn't achieve with a bit of sticky tape! Works like a dream now.

13. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

Tell me about it. Anything other than BBC and a couple of other channels are unwatchable for 50% of the time.

I'm all up for digital over analogue as I kinda need the subtitles. :duh:

14. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Bauul: Turkeys do NOT attach well to aerials

15. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

There is free to view satellite

16. Mr Mario

Mr Mario What's a Dremel?

A new better quality av cable may help. I was using some horrible 10 years old thing and it was causing me to lose some channels, but a new one (didn't cost much) made the world of difference, all the channels are clear now, and I'm not in the best of areas for a signal.

17. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

There are no disadvantages to DTV, and its about freaking time! (I remember hearing about this transition when HDTV's where first coming out, 7-9 years ago!)

:)

18. glaeken

glaeken Freeeeeeeze! I'm a cawp!

I hear you. My mom still has a couple of tvs on antenna. She has a pretty nice external antenna (it could be a little higher) but NBC cuts out all the time on digital. And ABC/CBS/FOX are pretty much unwatchable. Hopefully the changeover will boost the signals and there will be better reception.

19. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

It isn't any worst then analog here

20. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I have never had an issue with digital personally, except in two cases.

1) My parents, even though they have a direct line of sight to the transmitter, due to the BT building in between the signal is completely destroyed. Means that they have poor quality analogue reception only. So I'm going to be investing in a freesat set up for them.

2) My current property, we're in the only low lying area in Southampton and we get poor mobile signal strength and even poorer analogue/digital transmissions. We have freesat & Cable installed though