1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Does the UK have a two year manufacturers warranty law?

Discussion in 'General' started by Da_Rude_Baboon, 13 May 2008.

1. legalrights

legalrights What's a Dremel?

Please correct me if I'm wrong (I'm not a legal expert), but I've been doing a bit of research since I read a few comment regarding last night's Watchdog (which incidentally I didn't watch, so I hope I'm not repeating anything here).

Anyway, it seems that according to some EU legislation published in 1999, since 2002 it has become a legal requirement that all consumer goods sold in the EU must have a minimum of a 2 year warranty.

So from what I understand, if something breaks within 2 years and the retailer or manufacturer claim that there is only a 1 year warranty, you just need to quote Article 5 of the EU Product Warranty Directive (1999):

Last edited by a moderator: 7 Aug 2009
  2. MJ2009

MJ2009 What's a Dremel?

XBOX 360

Hi everyone,

I don't know how many of you know about it, but there is major manufacturing fault with XBOX 360 consoles indicated by the apperance of 3 red lights that means most them end up failing and needing repair. It is caused by a design design flaw that Microsoft have admitted to and they have since set up a dedicated team for repairs. However, they are only offering free repairs up to 3 years after purchase and mine is out of that by 1 month.

I was wondering, because it is a design fault that has been highlighed throughout the world and that there is no question that is the reason for it breaking, would I be covered by this European Law? I have a bank statment proving when and where I bought it.

I'd really appreciate any feedback I could get.

Thanks

3. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Nope, won't cut. Microsoft provided 3 years, which is more than they had to. Of course, you could get on the phone to them and start with "This problem started happening about a few weeks ago..." ie IN the warranty period. ;)

Just a thought...

4. MJ2009

MJ2009 What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the reply. I agree about the warranty but surely if according to the law that if I can prove before the 6 year mark that it was a problem caused by the manufacturer and I was in no way to to blame, then I have fulfiled all the requirements to get a replacement.

The 3 year warranty they offered doesn't just void the warranty that i'm supposed to be entitled to by law does it? It is a problem that that they knew would probably happen before it even left the factory.

5. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

It runs concurrently. You have an expected 2-year "warranty" through EU directives, etc, but the 3-year warranty from Microsoft only applies to RROD, and the E74 errors. Although, it IS a manufacturing defect, so you may get lucky there. Worth a stab, anyway. Remember to have this thread on screen, as it has all the info you'll need in terms of manufacturing defects. Casually mention it to the sales rep, and if they're confused/arrogant, read out the part that applies.

Of course, to save some Microsoft-based hassle, are there any shops near you that'll do the repair? Won't be free, obviously, but might be less problematic. Since you're out of warranty, no need to worry about voiding it.

6. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

The UK sale of goods act also covers a 'reasonable time' something should be expected to work for which is up to 5 years iirc but it is very hard to argue that case. e.g. if you buy a £2000 TV you would expect it to last more than 2 years so if it failed after 2.5 years you should be entitled to get it repaired.

7. voodoo2k4

voodoo2k4 Ghetto Modder

This is true. I think its 5/6 years from purchase for high quality items.

Read and learn the sales of good act and distance selling act (if applicable).

Dean.