1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dorm Server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by customh, 2 Mar 2008.

1. customh

customh conflagration.

Me and a friend are rooming together in college and making a server out of my current desktop, which has only 2 SATA ports and the norm of 2 IDE ports. I want to know what I should use each of the ports for, OS on the IDEor vice versa with storage on IDE and OS on SATA... What doth the people say?

2. dragon2309

dragon2309 techie

well, personally i would shove the OS on IDE, since you would never be rebooting a server...

but then again, if its only SATA I and not SATA II then there's little difference apart from the fact that the drives on SATA will most likely be newer models

You could just solve your problem and go buy a PCI 4-port SATA controller card, grab 6 x 250Gb SATA harddrives (v. cheap these days) and there you have it... 1.5Tb of sexy server storage space....

dragon2309

3. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

depends... what hard drives are you plugging into it? if you are buying all new hard drives, just get a pci sata controller and get however many sata cards you need. if you have old IDE hard drives kicking around that you are going to use, stick the OS on one of those, and use the sata ports for data drives.

whatever you do, don't go out and buy IDE drives.