1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress DrBo's Dragon

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by drbo, 30 Sep 2009.

1. bagman

bagman Minimodder

wow nice hardware really liking the look of this mod can't wait to see more

2. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

Thanks Bagman.

But you have to wait a little longer, since the PSU was delayed, and I am somewhat busy tomorrow.

But there is further plans (to be relieved later), it will not finish yet, although the computer is in daily use ...

drbo :cooldude:

3. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

Opened up my swiftech pump today (18W, in another watercooled pc), and it looked identical to my mod. So yes, the mod will do for your pump to :thumb:

Hopefully my PSU will arrive tomorrow, some misunderstanding led to a week delay.:wallbash:

4. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

Finally got my new PSU, Corsair HX 1000W.

And what a beast, 20 cm! And with all the cables one should ever need ...
    [​IMG]

Anyway. Mounted the PSU and connected the cables
    [​IMG]

Space became an issue, so a quick and dirty fix at the back was necessary ...
    [​IMG]

So now it is time to concentrate on cable management and lightning. I will also do some minor improvements on the waterloop between the GPUs.

But all this will be done in due time, since it is kind of busy at work, and I am using this workstation at almost daily ...

5. Fisher.

Fisher. partially impartial

That's a beast of a PSU, but I think you'll enjoy it :thumb:

I've got the same one (in the process of changing cases, so it's not running right now) and it is darn nice. Also, you're not the first person on these forums to make and "extension" like that, and with that long of a PSU it's almost necessary. I would suggest some hollow tubing slightly larger than the mobo risers to put over them, not a lot of work and it should clean it up a bit more. Still looking good!

6. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

Thanks Fisher!

the extension is only temporary, as I am going to get the Lian Li extension bracket in due time ...

[​IMG]

Bo for a little time, the mobo riser has to do the job.

7. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

Started to think about cable management. And the first think to be done is the AC-powerconnect.

[​IMG]

The AC-powerconnects, has to puposes:

1. It conncts the Aquaero to the Stabdby-power from the PSU (Black and purple).
    2. The main power is connected to a rele on Aquaero, so that aquaero can shut down the PC at failure (Green).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

That is, I am not going to do anything to the powerconnect, but build my own from scratch.The reason for doing it from scratch, is that I want it to be about 10 cm longer.

I am going to use all black wire, but is uncertain on whether I should use sleeving (black) or not.

What do you think? Your opinion does count ...

Last edited: 3 Nov 2009
  8. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Sleeving it was cool 4-5 years ago, but now it is run of the mill. I would do it without the sleeving just to be different. Another thing you might consider is to use wire that has clear insulation.

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

OOOOOH!
    You could do what top nurse said AND dye it blue just a little. Transparent blue cables!:D
    You just need to make strands longer than needed, dip the ends in wax to seal them, and leave them in fabric dye for a few days. When you are done clip the waxed ends off.

I may do this myself. I have a whole box of speaker wire.

10. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

This was very interesting proposals, but if doing so, I need to do a lot more than I am prepared to do ...

besides, doing it in bare black wire, would go nicely with the rest of the things I am going to do!

So no sleeving, just bare black wire!

Thanks for all help :D

11. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

Things are moving in the right direction (although slowly)!

Got my PSU extention bracket today ...

[​IMG]

And mounted it. Which made a clear difference, also inside ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So when my modding gear arrives, I can start on cable management and installing some lightning!

12. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

Got some time, so I started on the lightning project. Only the easy part so far, that is - I placed some cold cathodes in the box ...

[​IMG]

(Bloddy difficult to take a good picture with my camera, I might have to borrow madams SLR to get this right :D)

But there is more to come, stay tuned ...

13. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

Got a letter from customs, demanding a invoice or recite fro my modding gear. I guess they didt belive the $5 value printed on the parcel from US.

Anyway, out of principle I dont fake anything, so I emailed them my $ 120 invoice, and hope to have the stuff over the weekend (and it will blody cost me another 400NOK, or ca 60$ to get the stuff through customs) :wallbash:

Until then, I just have to be patient ...

14. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

It goes easier if you can talk the buyer into saying it is a gift. I have had shipped in from Europe 500-1,000 Euro and never once had customs (in USA) say anything about any duties. The other thing is to have any items marked as "Toy computer parts."

15. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

It is normally not a problem, and I have ordered lots of stuff from US and EU. Various policies from different shops. My favorite EU shop tells custom everything ... no mercy. But I still use them ...

Normally my favorite two US shops, tells custom whats inside, and gives them some total value (of course very low). Unfortunately Norwegian customs have learned, and is now questioning these values ... But they only goes after 1 out of 20 parcels, so I guess I just was not lucky this time.

No big deal really, mostly irritated of the one week delay this causes ... I pay my taxes with "great" pleasure.

From what I have learned, the Scandinavian tax model is rather cheap, when it is all summed up ... a little comfort in that

Last edited: 6 Nov 2009
  16. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

So, finally the parcel got through customs ...

Have started on making the new "powerconnect" from scratch ... pictures later :D

But I also got some short nipples, so I changed the water loop a bit, that is I exchanged the "loop" between the GPUs with a short straight tube.

Before:
    [​IMG]

After:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The observant reader would notice that I had to switch those GPUs in order to get the connections right ...

And for those who mentioned that the loop had negative effects on waterflow, with 90 degrees angles and all - guess what. No effect whatsoever!

So long ...

17. Top Nurse

Top Nurse Minimodder

Oh I am sure there was a difference in the flow rate. However, as you pointed out it IS insignificant. :D

18. woody_294

woody_294 Wizard Ninja :P

Huge improvement there, looks a damn sight tidier :D

19. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

Yes, it makes a difference of 1% increase in flow, or 1,1L/h. No effects on temp as expected ...

Thanks woody! and it is going to be even more tidy, when I can find time do do it. I is kind of busy times at the moment, so I spend more time working on the PC rather than modding it.

Edit: But the first picture also shows the temp PSU, so the cables was always a mess with that PSU in the rig.

Last edited: 14 Nov 2009
  20. drbo

drbo What's a Dremel?

Things has progressed slowly lately, mostly do to me beeing busy with work ...

but also because I am wondering whether i have to RMA my mobo or not.

This is why.

I am running win 7 enterprize 64x (I have also tested win 7 32x, and Vista Ultimate 32x - same results), and all seem to work very nicely with one-1- exception: RAM speed. And I have testet numerous RAM sets, bothsets listed on the QVL list and non listed sets.

In Bios, everything seems to be OK, but not so in windows. In windows all different programs from cpu-z to everest 5.3 reports somewhere between single sided DDR2-400 to single sided DDR3- 667. The lowest settings I have used in BIOS is DDR3 -1333.

My first thought was that this was an BIOS issue, but I am not convinced anymore. If BIOS, then others should have encountered the same problem.

Anyone any one a good idea? I would hate to take it all apart again.

EDIT: Finally, :clap: after a week with trying and errors, I got it solved ... stupid user error of course ...:wallbash:

But now it works nicely, with an PII X4 965BE 24/7 @3,825GHz ... DDR3 1800 @ 9-9-9-24

[​IMG]

I am not shure wether I wont to go higher 24/7 with this cpu ...

Actually, I also tested an Athlon II X3 435 (2,9Ghz) in this rig. Was able to unlock the fourth core, and booth the thing at over 4 :rock: - stable at 3,75 ...

[​IMG]

Last edited: 20 Nov 2009