1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News DRIP snooping bill passes with massive majority vote

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 16 Jul 2014.

1. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

The House of Lords approved an amendment to bring forward the date of when the law will be repealed from 2016 to 2015.

2. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Says something about the state of UK government when the House of Lords has to step in to protect democratic values...

3. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Indeed. Although i would say it's not just the UK government it's Parliament its self, all three main parties were involved in the backroom dealing that lead to this bill and the rushed approach that disregarded the democratic process.

The House of Lord is meant to prevent the House of Commons making such rash and ill thought out laws, it's just a shame that they didn't wholly reject this new law due to it being in breach of the European Convention of Human Rights.

4. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

The commons have ways of side-stepping the Lords for certain things, so if the Lords knocked it back they'd probably just use one of those ways...

5. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm no expect but AFAIK the lords can delay a bill for up to two years, either way they could have made it very difficult for Parliament to rush it through.

6. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I got this wrong :blush: they didn't approve the amendment :duh:

7. Nexxo

8. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

That explains the results of the poll in the Windows 8 Marmite thread then ;) :D

9. Nexxo

Yeah, in reality 99% love Windows 8, and only 1% hate it. Haven't I been telling you all along? :p

10. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

Sorry to necro an old thread but i hope this is relevant, and goes to show how the DRIP bill can and probably will be abused.

Tom Newton Dunn is one in half a million
    It was revealed this week that the Met police used a RIPA request to access the telephone records of The Sun's Political Editor, Tom Newton Dunn. https://www.openrightsgroup.org/blog/2014/tom-newton-dunn-one-in-half-million

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Slightly OT

You can find out how your MP voted on key issues. May be useful for keeping them a little more honest, once they realise more people will make the effort to check up on them - you can give them hell if they vote contrary to their claimed beliefs.

Sadly nothing showing for how my MP voted on the DRIP bill yet, although he claims he's dead against it.

https://www.mysociety.org/who-is-your-mp/

12. Umbra

Umbra What's a Dremel?

Your dacha awaits you.