1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

dSLR's

Discussion in 'Photography, Art & Design' started by M1CUZ, 27 Jul 2004.

?

What type of camera do you most regularly use?

1. Disposable

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Film Compact

1 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Digital Compact

40 vote(s)
    52.6%
  4. Film SLR

9 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. Digital SLR

22 vote(s)
    28.9%
  6. Camera? I use a Holo-Imager!

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  7. Other

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. M1CUZ

M1CUZ What's a Dremel?

I am putting serious consideration into entering the dSLR market soon and have been researching the quipment available. The two cameras that have sparked my interest have been the Canon EOS 300D and the Nikon D70. I dont currently own any SLR equipment and so have no lenses that i need/want to retain use of.

I am thinking of getting either the basic 300D package with the standard kit lens 18-55mm, or maybe splashing out a bit more and getting the Nikon D70 kit with the AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED lens.

I have read many reviews of both pieces of kit from various places on the net and was just looking for comments from anyone who has had first hand experience with either or both of these cameras, or indeed comment from anyone who has a strong opinion towards this comparison.

Any constructive comments are greatfully recieved :)

2. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Hi there.

Well, both cameras offer 6 or more megapixels, which is about 2 more than most people need anyway, so you could go either way there.

Thanks to Nikon's imaging technology, the 18-70mm lens that comes with the D70 will give you a slightly wider field of view than the 18-55mm that comes with Canon's 300D. You also get a greater maximum focal length (70mm) and a faster aperture (f/4.5) at full zoom. This may give you more options for your dollar, but if you plan on buying more lenses, then it doesn't matter in the long run.

The Nikor lenses are, in my opinion, a little better in the image qualtiy than Canon's EF lenses. Since you are starting from scratch, that may be a factor in your decision as you think about expanding your lens selection. Another bonus is Nikon's friendly lens history. Go buy a brand-spanking new Nikon DSLR and you can put just about any old Nikor lens on it (some lenses aren't fully-compatible). Canon, in their infinite wisdom, changed the lens some years back. This means that all the old established pros had to buy all new lenses or just keep shooting with their old cameras. At the newspaper, we just took the old, super-quality Nikor 25mm lens and popped it right on the D1. Easy as cake. This may not mean much nowadays, but it's something to think about.

According to a test done relatively recently by Popular Photography and Imaging, the D70 outscored the D100 and the EOS Digital Rebel in color accuracy. In fact, the D70 outscored all of the other 6 MP DSLRs that were in the test.

I personally shoot on a Canon, mostly because it was inexpensive at the time. If I had to choose again I would choose a Nikon; but, now that I have a few lenses, it would cost too much to make the switch.

Granted, all of the reviews I could find for the D70 compared it to the Digital Rebel. The EOS 300D and the Canon 10D use a nearly identical CMOS sensor, but the sensor isn't the only thing to consider when jumping into digital.

For a side-by-side comparison (well, sort of), check out these two pages:
    Canon EOS 300D
    and
    Nikon D70

Here is a quick glance:
    300D: No flash compensation. No custom controls. Less color accuracy.
    D70: Flash compensation. Custom controls. Better color accuracy.

In this case, I would say go with the D70. You get better quality and more features for your money. If you really like Canon, you might want to consider the Digital Rebel or one of the upper-level cameras over the 300D.

Just my 2 cents.
    -monkey

Last edited: 27 Jul 2004
  3. fartonmyear

fartonmyear What's a Dremel?

i would go with d70

4. sinizterguy

sinizterguy Dark & Sinizter

Between the D70 and the Canon EOS 300D, the D70 wins hands down.

I personally use the Nikon D100.

5. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

Feature wise the D70 does have it, but personally, I think the 300D has superior image quality.

6. ST8

ST8 What's a Dremel?

Ive been putting some serious thought into the d70, i think to make a real decision you need to go into a shop and actually have a play with both cameras. Ive read about people who find the 300d too small in their hands and people not liking the feel of the d70 you really need to try them out :)

EDIT: ARGH noticed this at the top and its nearly a year old, feel free to close :[

Last edited: 27 Apr 2005
  7. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

D70s and 350D now. :D

8. acrimonious

acrimonious Custom User Title:

I have an EOS300D - awesome machines.

Get into a jessops and get both out the box and play around - I don't have expereience with a Nikon DSLR, but i do know that my Canon kicks ass.

Canon also are easier to find accessories for, apparently - if you get an SLR you WILL be spending money on lenses and filters so it should be a conisderation.

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

its highly advantageous to make friend with someone in the states if youre in the uk and want canon accessories

if youre buying a few lenses at a time then its actually cheaper to buy a flight over there and buy them there

crazy

10. eclipse

eclipse Guest

ok i may sound like a dumb **** but whats a slr and a dslr

Last edited by a moderator: 2 Jun 2005
  11. lord nicon21

lord nicon21 sexy *******

slr id a film one

and a dslr is a digital one

12. Ben

Ben What's a Dremel?

13. Cabe

Cabe What's a Dremel?

SLR stands for Single Lense Reflex so called because the images you see is the inamge that the sensor will see (more or less, there are some technicalities with cropping and suchlike) it uses a mirror that flicks up out the way, giving the satisfying click-shiick-clunk.

dSLR is the same, only digital.

Canon for the win BTW you will get hold of my 300d* only from my cold dead fingers.

*Sidenote, the 300d is called the Kiss Digital Rebel and the 350d the Digital Rebel XT.

either way go visit www.dpreview.com for the full lowdown on all the cameras.

the 300d is defenitly not too small, the new 350d is abour 30% smaller I think.

Also factor in the cols of lenses, you will want more. (Stay away from anything bearing the discription of Canon L series, they are utterly gorgeous and will push you into a second mortgage)

14. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

as supermonkey said, there is not really that much between them, and what it will come down to for most people is what they are used to and what equipment they already have...as soon as i can afford one, i shall hopefully be adding a 350D to my canon collection, the main reason being that i can use my lenses that i already own on it, whereas if i got the nikon i would have to start from scratch!
    also as cabe said, check out dpreview, for some awesome reviews and insight!
    easiest way to do it, is to go into a camera shop, have a play with both and see which one you prefer...

15. fev

fev Industry Fallout

i have a 350d it's the mutts nuts to be fair but i'm still looking at the D70s purely for the lense options

*sigh*

16. Lovah

Lovah Apple and Canon fanboy

Hi,

I own a Sony P120. A compact digital camera (5.1MP), wich is fast (start up) and offers alot of option for its camera-type. I'm very pleased with it.

If aswell did my research in the Digital SLR range as I first really wanted one. I had a go with Nikon D70 a few months ago.. and it was stunning. But this is coming from a more or less Noob.

I did however had a talk with a few salespeople at a huge camerastore nearby. One of them owned bouth 300D and D70. She adviced me the D70. That is offcourse if you don't already have canon lenses.

I assume this is ging to be your first SLR camera. So I would advise you to take a look at the Nikon D50. (You get the lense options from Nikon). It seems like a great camera, especially for hobby-photographers like you and me.

Good luck on your choice!

If you are going to use your camera for 1 purpose (for example trainspotting). Then get the body and get a lense to match your purpose.

L

17. Endoxus

Endoxus What's a Dremel?

A question to everyone who is a bit more serious about their photography.

is anyone else annoyed that there is no option to fit a vertical grip on the d70 or d70s. once you have used one, you never want to go back to "normal" vertical shooting. i dont understand why nikon did not allow the vertical grip to be used. they claim to cater for the pro/semi-pro market but they do not allow vertical grips, shutter releases (unless you use their special electronic ones), or external battery holders. not very good. especially for a $1800AUD camera.

for those serious about quality, shoot slide film. there are currently slide film scanners that can scan what is equilivent to 15MP.

i currently shoot with a d70s and an f90x, i shoot with the d70 and if the shot is particually good i will shoot with the f90, process the film and scan it at 15 megapixel. best of all the nikon scanner are automated, and it can do batches of 50 while you do something useful (surf bit-tech!)

18. keir

keir S p i t F i r e

other

my phone camera :) S700i