1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics Dual Graphics Cards on PCI-E

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JazX101, 30 Jan 2007.

1. JazX101

JazX101 What's a Dremel?

Lo All!
    I was just wondering if it was possible to run two different monitors on PCI-E, ie an nVidia and an ATI card, Running monitors off both cards (looking to end up with 3-4 monitors total)
    The reason for this is because I like features from both of the cards, and I would like to include them all if atall possible.
    Many thanks for any ideas.
    Jaz_knos

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Uhm... What features of both do you have to have?

You could try installing 2 different brand cards, but chances are you'd have nasty driver conflicts. It's best to stick to 1 brand.

3. Glider

Glider /dev/null

IIRC it is possible, altough it will give you a pain in the behind to get it working decently... Better go with 1 brand for both cards, and non SLI them for 3+ monitors...

4. MixWizard

MixWizard Minimodder

this is possible to do, but i would refraim from using 2 different types of cards in the PCI-E slots epecially as they are meant for SLi so you may get some conflict errors. What is it you want to do on each monitor? It is possible to have plenty of extra PCI graphics cards all in the same system and that works fine but as for 2 PCI-E cards which are meant to SLi id say youd get some strange errors

5. Glider

Glider /dev/null

If you SLI them you could never use more then 2 monitors... So that is out of the question... Also, SLI is nVidia only... The OP asked about an ATI and an nVidia card.

6. Moriquendi

Moriquendi Bit Tech Biker

I have done this for a friend using two X1600s in an intel motherboard with no problems at all, I also had to put one of them in the 8x slot and one in a 1x (i think) slot because of the heatsinks. They were both from the same manufacturer though.

Moriquendi

Tags: