1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dual P3s

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by severedhead, 22 Jul 2005.

1. severedhead

severedhead What's a Dremel?

Quick and easy, do I need a matched pair of P3s to run in a dual board or would any two behave themselves providing they are the same speed etc?

Also, can I use 2 slockets in a dual board without problems?

2. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

I don't know about p3's specifically, but with the newer Xeons, the motherboard generally seems to be upset unless the chips have the same stepping code (last few letters of the serial number, or on the bottom of a Xeon, not sure where on a P3). Although it should work with a certain range of steppings, I've never seen it happen,
    So, unless you can get a cheap deal, go for matched. It'll be less potential hassle.

3. severedhead

Will bear that in mind, thanks. Its just that 1GHz P3s are far more common on eBay seperately as opposed to a matched pair.

4. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

If there's lots avaliable, you might be able to find two that match...Or you could just buy loads and mix and match till you find a pair that work... ;)

5. Skylined

Skylined Minimodder

Careful with the mobos.
    The PIII era had faulty mobos with faulty capacitors.

6. severedhead

I notice that some people list the stepping too, gonna try find a few the same and see what happens. Can always sell them again.

Thanks for the warning, but I already have a mobo thats been running a couple of 450s for a while now. Tis just a bit slow and needs an upgrade.