1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Duron 1600 Overclock

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jaguar_Infinity, 26 Nov 2003.

1. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

I've started this thread up to stop hijacking rtt's post on the new applebred durons.

I've got a new applebred duron stepping MIXIB 0342 wpmw - at stock it runs at 1.5v. i have 'cheapy generic' 512mb pc2100 ram.

So far i've upped the FSB to 184Mhz and have a RAM setting of 1:1 - to be honest i'm amazed the RAM isn't complaining and that its running at that speed. I've had to up the voltage from 1.50 to 1.55 vCore and raise the vDimm by .3 v and the system appears to run rock solid, i ran SuperPi to 32m places and played music at the same time and it completed both tasks and stayed up and did downloads (open source stuff of course) and idled for about 30 hours straight. If anything i think the ram is performing much better than befor because any latancy i once had has totally gone.

1600 - 2208Mhz is a good overclock i feel, especially for my first true OC attempt :D however....

i didnt reach the ceiling. I've only upped voltages a little bit, its running rock stable and cooling is on 'no noise' setting using an akasa cooler yet the temps are low 40's. I actually stopped and held back from overclocking higher not the CPU stopped me.

I'm going to let this speed burn in a bit first befor i take it further but i want to have those with more experiance than me to help me do so. I feel the RAM is definiatly going to be the limiting factor here and i'm planning on getting faster stuff in a few months anyway (just gotta save up first). I seem to be stuck on 12x multiplier. i can set the multi higher on the bios and the bios remembers what i set it as but it seems to boot at 12x multi still, any idea what could be going on here? i looked at the L1 bridges befor i put the chip in and remember seing all of them without the laser burn marks so i'm assuming all the L1 bridges are closed. Another thing is the L2 cache. I left that at 64k but (as those familiar with the new applebred CPUs) there is the potential for closing the cut L2 bridge and re-enabling a full 256k of L2 cache. I'm very seriously considering doing this mod but i was wondering if anyone had recomendations about this and had good tips and techniques. Also does anyone have good tips and techniques i should try for general overclocking this system?

final note - this is all on an Epox 8KRA2+ (like the one reviewed on the main site a month or so ago)

hope you guys can help :clap: :clap:

2. Highland3r

Highland3r Minimodder

nice clock you got there, 600 mhz with + 0.05v :eeek: That rams doing well too.... if u can enable the cache on those CPU's then they are worth the investment!

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

I found this thread for you Jag, over on AMDMB...

http://www.amdforums.com/showthread.php?threadid=259675

Hope it's of use to you for unlocking the Abred :)

RAM will be your limiting factor as far as your overclock is concerned, faster RAM will be needed to get any greater gain in CPU speed :)

It's doing well at the moment though :D

It seems like the mult is locked too, which is a shame, might have to try unlocking that too if you can

4. Jaguar_Infinity

Jaguar_Infinity Just some guy

Thanks for the link bigZ very usefull :clap:

Unfortuniatly it looks like my chip may be 'superlocked' - as in the multiplier is set in the same fasion as the bartons are currently. also with these new superlocked chips L2 modding appears to be gone :( i think i'll still give it a try though just to make sure :D i'm hopping i can get it to 2400Mhz, technically my mobo should allow it to get to 3Ghz on 250FSB at 12 multi :naughty:

5. Mightybob

Mightybob What's a Dremel?

congrats on that OC! That is more than my XP 1800 (TBred) could do!

My Duron 1.3 can only hit 1.4 at 115FSB.