1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Peripherals DVD Drive Error / Fault

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by CityWodge, 27 Jun 2011.

1. CityWodge

CityWodge What's a Dremel?

Hi there,

Hoping for some pointers from some kind people. I have a standard Pioneer DVD RW drive in my PC, and had no trouble with it until now.

I recently tried to install a (legitimate) game from DVD, but the installation failed on copying some files across. Looking at the (old) DVD I put this down to a damaged disc and no more.

However, today I tried to copy some files to a CD and Windows reported that the drive was 'read only'. At that point things went a little weird, the drive wouldn't eject, constant activity etc. I tried a standard reboot, but then Windows (Win7) hung on the 'Starting Windows' screen. Only if I powered down the PC, and then boot 'from cold' could I get back into Windows.

I haven't tried the drive again (nervous and want to double check I have a complete back up first!), but is it possible that the attempted installation could have damaged the drive? Is it just a coincidence?

I know a new drive is a small thing in the grand scheme of things, but I do like to know why things go wrong (to stop it happening again if I can!), and so any advice would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Paul

2. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Drives die, causes could be nearly anything. Buy a $25 new one and be on your way. If need be throw the connecter cable into another slot to ensure its not a mobo issue. :thumb:

3. IvanIvanovich

IvanIvanovich будет глотать вашу душу.

Sounds like a faulty drive to me too. If you can, test with another computer to confirm. Now you've got an excuse to upgrade to blu-ray.

4. CityWodge

CityWodge What's a Dremel?

Thanks so much for the responses.

It certainly does sound like a dead drive. I have probably been lucky over the years in that whilst other parts have failed, I've never had a CD/DVD drive fail until now! In the grand scheme of things, I have to be happy that it is a pretty cheap thing to replace.

Once again, thanks for the comments!