1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding DVD to USB

Discussion in 'Modding' started by -SilentNight-, 18 Nov 2004.

1. -SilentNight-

-SilentNight- Hardcore pro gamer

So im having litle bit problem.... how i can connect DVD to USB with out buying that damm expensive external 5,25" case....

do you what i mean?

Last edited: 18 Nov 2004
  2. infernis

infernis What's a Dremel?

You want to connect a DVD-ROM drive to your PC via USB? I'm sorry, but a bridge card like the ones used in external enclosures is by far your most reasonable option.

3. infered101

infered101 What's a Dremel?

Yea that is all you can do. There is cables and adapters but they are more money then the external enclosures. They aernt that bad either if you look you can find an enclsoure for under 30 us dollars and dont forgot that the 3 inch hard drive enclosures will work to if they are ide. Word of warning do NOt get the external 2.5 inch hard drive enclsures they will not work unless you buy another adapterand that is more work than you want to do.

4. -SilentNight-

-SilentNight- Hardcore pro gamer

yup but i wnat it almoust free i got place where i can do that bridge card but i only need that sircuit diagram (mean that where u can see how that is done components and others....)

5. infernis

infernis What's a Dremel?

Wait, so you want to essentially make your own bridge card, so you can locate it somewhere else?

Your best bet is to obtain application notes from a Serial ATA bridge chip manufacturer. Here is one such chip:

http://www.marvell.com/products/storage/sata/88i8030.jsp

Perhaps you could e-mail Marvell for application notes.

6. Blue Raven

Blue Raven What's a Dremel?

Edit: There is a much better explenation by TheAnimus here.

If you are trying to build a circuit to provide an interface between usb and an ide device, you will have a very hard time unless you are highly skilled with microcontrollers. and even then, it will take a lot of work and a long time.

There might be some pre-made chips to help with building the converter, and if you can find them, you might be able to build an interface card. but for lack of pre-made chips, it is not as easy as wireing some electronic components together and have it work. the interface card has a microcontroller that talks to the usb host in the computer and accesses the ide device. the microcontroller also has to change the format of the data between the usb interface and the ide interface. you would have to desin and write the code for the microcontroller and then probably write drivers for os that you are using it with.

There was a post that explained this better than me, I'l try to find it.

Last edited: 20 Nov 2004