1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graphics DX11 card current draw?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jeff1155, 11 May 2011.

1. trig

trig god's little mistake

prolly won't get to look for it until tonight, but sure thing...or i'll just post a link in this thread...and pm you to look at it

2. trig

trig god's little mistake

cant find it...read it years ago...

something to do with the second pin not being connected or a filter on the second pin or something like that...it'sd late and i can't think straight...

3. jeff1155

jeff1155 What's a Dremel?

Well, Palit have just come back and confirmed it's 24A 12V for the whole PSU, and have reconfirmed that my PSU should be fine, so something is up! I'm going to try a dual Molex to PCIe connector and see if using separate 12V rails helps. Maplin's cable was about 2" long so I've had to order a longer one, which seemed quite hard to find tbh.

I hope it's not the DPP 650W - don't fancy RMAing to Germany! How could I prove it anyway?

Also wondering whether it's a high load effect on my Asus P5K Pro Black Pearl? It does the odd thing now and again, not activating the mouse on boot being the most common.

4. Deders

Deders Modder

I doubt the motherboard itself draws enough power to cause problems, especially when you consider your old card draws around the same as your new one.

Most Molex to PCIe connectors are very short, are there not enough spare molexes to reach?

Right now it all points to the graphics card being faulty.

5. jeff1155

jeff1155 What's a Dremel?

Well Palit have been back in touch, reconfirmed that my PSU spec should be fine 20A 12V rail or not, but they want me to test my RAM, and it seems strange why any such fault would be worse with a Gtxx460 than a 9800GTX+? Any good apps for RAM testing?

I also installed the Dual Molex to PCIe adaptor to get the power from two 20A 12V rails rather than one, and the symptoms are now worse, snap restarting the whole PC rather than flickering black screens or BSOD, so it looks like it's the card for sure.

6. Deders

Deders Modder

Sounds like it

Do you have windows vista or 7? It has a good memory testing util built in, type in mem to the search bar in the start menu and look for windows memory diagnostics.

7. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

Definitely sounds like something is up with the card - get rid of it before it takes the rest of the system down in flames :D