1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding Dynamat -- dampen PC noise. Does it work?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by sizzv3, 19 Jan 2002.

1. sizzv3

sizzv3 What's a Dremel?

I was reading through a mag and came across an ad for this stuff called dynamat (Dynamat's Website). They say it stops your PC from vibrating, thus causing less noise.

Has anyone tried this stuff or tried something similar?

Plz gimme some feedback, thx.

-Sizzv3

2. sizzv3

sizzv3 What's a Dremel?

by the way.. does anyone know where I can find someone that will ship it (or something similar) to Japan?

-Sizzv3

3. Geek

Geek What's a Dremel?

Dunno about the shipping, but supposedly it does work. I've read about 6 different people's opinions on it, and it seems like about half of them found that there was an odd smell for a month or so after installation. YMMV, of course. Never having done it myself, I couldn't tell you.

Gordon

4. brutal

brutal What's a Dremel?

we actually discussed this in a thread a couple of weeks ago. i think the conclusions where that it would reduce rattling because it makes the case panels stiffer. It also reduced noise from internal components but it had little or no effect on case fans.

i dont have permissions to use the search feature so i cant give you the link :(

5. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

i would be slightly worried about putting these in an aluminium case, because they are designed to act as a large heatsink, as well as the fans etc as it would just act as an insulator and keep the heat from getting to the aluminium (so you might have to compensate by using even noiser fans :p)

on a steel painted case it may have less effect, but then wouldn't it be better to invest in quieter fans (rubber grommits etc) or watercooling?

6. sizzv3

sizzv3 What's a Dremel?

isn't the stuff aluminum neway?

7. Geek

Geek What's a Dremel?

Dude, the case isn't touching the chip. I think we can safely say that the heat dissipation of the aluminum case is marketing bull****.

Gordon

8. brutal

brutal What's a Dremel?

if you have 300cfm of case fans like me, the advantage of aluminum over steel is prolly very little. the whole marketing really lays in the overall looks of the aluminum case not in its heat dissipation qualities

9. MadMan

MadMan What's a Dremel?

This stuff lowers noise primarily by absorbing the sound waves produced by the fans, HDs, CD-roms, etc in your case. It will also change the natural harmonic frequency of a panel so if you are getting a whole panel that vibrates from a fan or something this stuff (or one of the many similar items) would stop the whole panel from vibrating.

As far as it raising case temps...well, maybe a few degrees but it would be minor. Also, any "heatsinking" effect that aluminum has is almost completely from conduction (direct contact with hot surface) through the metal itself, though this heat must still be released to the air. This stuff might hinder some of the heat from releasing, but it will also prevent you from going insane from your Delta4356346 fan. ;)

"Dynamat" is the name brand in question, they were the first to make this stuff and so people sometimes say "dynamat" in the same way one might say "Kleenex" as a blanket name for all facial tissues. It was really designed for car stereo speaker enclosures. You know all those dumasses that put $2000 radios in a $1000 car? Anyway, a lot of the rattling you hear can be reduced by this material. It can also be put inside your doorframe to lower road noise.

K, class dismissed :D

10. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

it may be bull to some degree, but there is definatly an effect...
    the chip is not the only heat producing element in the case, the drives, graphics, mobo etc also produce heat; aluminium has roughly 4 times the thermal conductivity of steel, now whilst its still possible to cool temps in a case by fitting larger more powerful fans, i personally think using smaller fans and aluminium is better. Since i have got an aluminium case the things i have noticed is that 1) the case is cool to the touch 2) the drives are also cool, something i never got with my old steel case... now it is very difficult to compare cases of different designs like that, but i would suggest that it isn't all marketing bull and there is some truth to it.
    also the fact that the air circulating is constantly transfering heat from the cpu exhaust etc to the walls of the case and all the components as well as directly out thru a fan.

11. Alaric

Alaric code assassin

granted i would have bought an alu case even if it had been piss poor at cooling but its all about swings and roundabouts, u need sound proofing because you have 300cfm of fans... i don't cause i have considerably less, because i don't need them partly because the case is aluminium.

i think i've said enuff now

12. Geek

Geek What's a Dremel?

1. Your case is mostly being cooled by airflow. Hot air from the heatsink, from the drives, etc. is being pushed out of your case, whilst cool air is being brought in.

2. If the exhaust were heating anything, it'd probably heat the outside of your case just as much as the inside. The fact that you say your case is cool to the touch means that neither side is getting significantly heated.

3. Think about the contact patches from your devices to your case. My hard drives are connected to my case by 4 screws, and only the sides are in direct contact with case metal. The heat isn't produced there, and the sides of the drives don't get hot to a significant extent. That means that heat from the drives has to go through air (which, btw, is flowing out of the case) to the case metal. If, by some chance, it did manage to heat the case, yeah, it would transfer out 4 times faster or whatever, but it doesn't in any significant amount.

Hence I conclude that the "big heatsink" theory is a load of bunk. As always, IANAP (physicist), YMMV, and other various disclaimers.

Gordon

13. brutal

brutal What's a Dremel?

i need 300cfm cause i live in arizona where its been in the 70's and 80's the past week and it gets into the 110's and 120's in the summertime and it costs me $300 a month to cool my 2700 sq foot house to 80F everymonth :(

right now i own 3 enlight 7237's and when i bought the last one aluminum cases where 300 bucks for crappy ones they sold in stores in the US.

oh did i mention that my p3 1gig runs at 30c at full load? :cool:

14. relix

relix Minimodder

oh god, I love japan! well, just for it's manga stuff and stuff ;)

but anyway: man, you're way cool!

15. LoopyJuice

LoopyJuice Astronomical

hehe he is :) :p to relix hehe

Last edited: 20 Jan 2002
  16. relix

relix Minimodder

"my manga" ? lol