Dynamic DNS Help!

Discussion in 'Tech Support' started by kenco_uk, 11 Mar 2008.

1. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Hi all,

I hope someone can help me with this. At the moment, I have a Sky DG934G router and a D-Link DCS-900 IP Camera. I'm wanting to access the IP camera over the internet. Sky don't provide a permanent WAN IP address, so I thought I'd sign up with dyndns.org. It seemed easy enough, I created a free account but then got to the account options, read through some bits and thought, 'wuh..?'

I added a host and called it myname.dnsdojo.com and added my wan ip address. Sure enough, typing in myname.dnsdojo.com brought up my router login page. Then a thought struck me that if anyone could type myname.dnsdojo.com and bring up my router login page, it wouldn't take too long for someone to guess the password. Before removing the hostname from my account, I had a little play and could view my IP camera by giving it a port of 888 and then typing in myname.dnsdojo.com:888.

So, how do I make sure it's secure? Any help is much appreciated.

2. sandys

sandys Multimodder

turn off remote access to the router, there is usually this option.

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I have a similar system but using an ip cop box. I forward port 80 to a null address when i'm not using it, in this case i think your dydns is your router and defaulting to port 80 so this should work.

4. kenco_uk

That's turned off - in fact, it's never been on. It was somewhat surprising to me when, as I say, typing in myname.dnsdojo.com brought up the window that asked for my login name and password to log into my router.

5. kenco_uk

Ah, got you. The router config would be on port 80, as it's essentially http, I see now.

What would forwarding port 80 to a null address actually do for me though? It sounds like I then wouldn't be able to access the net?

6. steveo_mcg

This is the third time i've tried to right this clearly each time it was still muddled, so apologies if it seems abrupt. The dynamic dns is set to forward to your routers address so it can find you. Your router is set to automatically forward any request to its ip to its internal web server and thus your routers settings you probably need to set it so that it doesn't do this or forward the port else where if it comes externally. Also have you tried from out side the house, your router may just be being too clever and routing you to its internal port and you may not be able too access it externally.

7. kenco_uk

I haven't tried it externally yet, I have to admit. I can understand what you're saying though and if I'm right in thinking, I need to forward 192.168.0.1 incoming port 80 to another port on the firewall settings within the router - is that right?

8. steveo_mcg

I think that should do it.

9. kenco_uk

And then, to access my router config page.. say if it was forwarded to port 88, I'd type in 192.168.0.1:88 ?

10. Shadow_101

Shadow_101 Minimodder

Nope. :)

If WAN Remote Access is disabled then you will have no issue. Your routing tables know the external IP referenced by the dynamic DNS is accessible through your internal router IP, which is why you can access the routers admin page using the DyamicDNS.

11. steveo_mcg

yeah

edit: ^^ what he said is clearer ;)

12. kenco_uk

Aaaahh.. :idea: I see. I'm guessing perhaps IPCop works differently, then?

Does the hostname registered at dyndns take time to route through dns servers? I.e. similar to when registering a domain name?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'd rather get it right than compromise my home network.

13. steveo_mcg

Yeah ipcop doesn't use the wan option it uses port 445 (default) for secure web access and you can access it from the web but it is password protected so you have to use a good password... not that any one really cares but better safe.

I don't think dydns is as slow as a dns registration but don't quote me on that.

14. Millusdk

Millusdk What's a Dremel?

I have a linksys router, and a dyndns.org user... And when i do not setup port forwarding and i open up my adress xxx.dyndns.org, I get to my router login page. HOWEVER! this does only happen when i am on the internal side of the router, what happens, is that my router sees that i try to access my own ip adress and checks it's own forwarding tables, and sees that it should not forward, and as such it serves me its own site. When i setup port forwarding on port 80, I get what ever page i am supposed to get.

Tags: