1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distributed Dynamic DNS providers

Discussion in 'Software' started by theshadow2001, 5 Jul 2021.

1. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I'm considering doing some self hosting for cloud storage and maybe eventually security camera feeds.

My IP address changes very regularly so I'm looking at dynamic dns providers. Some of them are free, some are paid or offer paid services. I'm curious what are peoples experience using these services. I assume there are some sort of gotchas with free versions. Are there security implications from using these types of services in general?

I could pay for a fixed ip address with my provider, but for the price I could buy access to more than enough cloud storage so I am more focused on the free dynamic dns offerings for now

2. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I use Cloudflare DDNS. Just lives as a subdomain off my Cloudflare-linked domain, works a treat.

No security implications beyond the fact that if you're being actively targeted it's easier for the attacker to follow you when your IP changes. I dunno about you, but I'm not that interesting.

There are security implications with opening up self-hosted services, of course, but these apply whether you're using DDNS or not.

3. creative

creative 500rwhp

DuckDNS is the one I use for my home server stuff.