1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL EA doesn't want to be 'hated' anymore

Discussion in 'General' started by Digi, 11 Jun 2013.

1. Digi

Digi The not-so-funny Cockney

Not sure if this belongs in Gaming or General but feel free to move as appropriate mods.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-22801311

Hilarious so far, I'm going to re-read it and make further comments but I thought I'd put it out there and let people read and form their own opinions.

TL:DR: Discuss.

YEHBABY, siliconfanatic and G0UDG like this.
  2. Tynecider

Tynecider Since ZX81

ROFLCOPTER, that's the best I can afford myself.

3. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

No reason they can’t turn this around in a year. It’s very simple to do too, since let’s be honest, they do make some great games!

EA’s Anti Hate ‘To Do’ list

• Day One DLC. We like DLC, it’s been around forever in one form or another (expansion packs), and it extends the shelf life of the games we love (BF3 now has 29 MP maps!). However, Day One DLC is a smack in the face – what you are saying is ‘we have finished this game, but taken a part of it out and sold it separately for more money/to force people to pre order’. Pre ordering is bad because it forces you to part with cash based on previews etc, which can differ from the final product – extreme example – Aliens Colonial Marines.

• Microtransactions. Look, we know games are expensive to make, especially now, with all those high resolution textures, but none of us like Microtransactions. They are fine in Free to Play games, after all I’ve not made an initial investment, but do I really want to pay £40 for Dead Space 3 and then another £3 for a suit. Also, look at it from this perspective – £3 is 7.5% of the total price for the game. That is not a fair cost, unless the game is just 13 space suits, which it isn’t.

• Watering down. Some series have very passionate fans. These passionate fans are very influential. You tried to turn Dead Space 3 from a survival horror game, which did very well, despite a tiny marketing budget, to an action game which ‘everyone’ could enjoy. Except for the core audience that bought and promoted the first games. Oh look, lacklustre sales, that don’t equate to the extra investment.

• Sim City. Well, I think we all know what went wrong here don’t we. First of all lots of lying to the press and consumers about all the calculations being done in the cloud, despite suspicions about DRM, then those turning out to be correct. Then a little less lying. Then silence. Good work giving everyone a free game, fair enough there.

• Sim City again. City sizes. Yep, you probably haven’t even noticed since the game actually sold pretty well, but a lot of the core Sim City fans found the city sizes far too small, and thus the scope of the game massively reduced. You’ve tried to appeal to a broad demographic, and have ended up alienating your core audience again. Oopsy. I wonder how your numbers are looking, I would say massively dropped off, since the game has no long lasting appeal. Maybe here, the thing to do was to have the game autodetect your system (you already collect system specs on Origin, so no drama), and then apply maximum city sizes based on that.

• Medal of Honor. Cool, military FPS games are massively ‘in’ right now. Activision have COD – that’s massive and targeted at people that just like a quick, simple FPS blastathon. That works. Why don’t we do one of our own? Hang on, you guys already have Battlefield, and even a DLC specifically targeted at COD players, isn’t that enough? No, MoH probably ranked amongst the most pointless and unoriginal games ever made, and is the poster boy for ‘safe bet’ video game development. Except it wasn’t because it didn’t do anything better than COD or BF and was utterly redundant. Lets not make any more games like this and focus on Battlefield
    • Command and Conquer. Awesome new C&C game. Sure you totally ruined the C&C series for many fans thanks to a total lack of innovation, but now its time for a reboot, and on Frostbite! Sweet. C&C has loads of fans, they’ll lap this up. Oh wait, you’ve made it free to play. Why exactly? Oh, there isn’t any money in traditional PC RTS games. No, you are right, apart from that Starcraft game or whatever it’s called.

• Turning off servers. This is a little concerning isn’t it EA. What happens if I’m playing NBA 2013 in 2016. The game still works but I can’t play any of my buddies? Why not, oh, you’ve disabled the servers. Cool. Only really half the game now though isn’t it.

• Mirrors Edge 2 announcement…..Oh, no, wrong list.

EAs list of things they should ignore because lots of people are just whiney cry babies

• Origin – you got a lot of flack for this when it first came out. Sure, its pointless because everyone already has Steam, but in actual fact, Origin is well designed (although lets leave those sound notifications everytime one of my friends signs in/signs out/starts or stops playing a game off by default shall we). Your servers are fast, and it’s good to have a rival to Steam. Also, you are doing sales at reasonable prices like on Steam. Great work all round.

• Mirrors Edge 2. The cynic in me says you have crunched the numbers and the result says there is a profit to be made here, but fair play for giving it a go. It’s not my kind of game, but its original, stylised and pushes game development in an interesting direction. Good work.

• Battlefield 3. Sure, you can’t please all of the people all of the time, but my god you have pleased a lot of people. It’s gorgeous, massive, playable, consistently patched and has a DLC pack for whatever style of game you like (personally, Aftermath and Endgame were my favs).
    • Battlelog. Eurgh, Battlelog, whats wrong with traditional in game servers? I have to go to a website? Effort! But, it’s not, is it. Through many iterations, Battlelog now does server browsing, stat watching and friend finding very, very well. Good work EA/Dice.

• Fifa/any other EA sports title). Well, I don’t play a lot of footy games, but it’s absolutely clear you’ve demolished Pro Evo over the last few years. Sure, an update every year isn’t really necessary is it (a new kit/league DLC would be fine for most people), but its surely a great simulation of a particular sport.

• Online Passes. You’ve ditched ‘em. Well done. I can understand the motives behind them, because you don’t get a cut from second hand sales, and second hand games are the same as new games….except for the fact that when you buy a new game you are paying to play it at launch, and older games are less desirable.

• Mass Effect 3 ending. Sure you messed up a little. I don’t know, the dev history behind the finale but you listened to the fans and at least attempted to right it. Lets not forget, every medium has a trilogy or album that’s not what it should have been, but I don’t see the Wachowski brothers going back and refilming The Matrix Revolutions so that it actually makes any sense.

• Bobby Kotick isn’t your CEO, so I mean that’s a free slam dunk right there.

Margo Baggins and Madness_3d like this.
  4. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

This is a tricky one. As long as the game itself is complete and fully playable, then I don't mind microtransactions for things like hats and suits. I wouldn't even mind the odd item or weapon with necessary caveats (e.g. only accessible in single player, or items that do no provide a distinct advantage to gameplay). I personally won't buy a hat for a character in a game (for the ame reason I never purchase additional bombs in Draw Something - I'm cheap), but I don't begrudge anyone who wants to see Master Chief parading around in a beanie and stilettos. As I said, as long as the base game is complete and fully functional, and microtransactions are tucked away in appropriate menus, then they aren't so bad.

If the balance is done correctly, microtransactions are transparent shouldn't affect the core gameplay.

5. Madness_3d

Madness_3d Bit-Tech/Asus OC Winner

Nicely Said Parge + Rep :thumb:

6. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Simple...

Stop acting like a **** and people [may] stop hating you... actions speak louder than words and all that...

7. smc8788

smc8788 ...at least I have chicken

Unfortunately that's not the way EA chooses to do things though, is it? Instead of having these things as entirely optional extras, they force them down your throat at every in-game opportunity. There's links to the Origin store in the Dead Space 3 stores and ungrade centres, because the in-game currency you worked for through playing the game clearly wasn't enough. They want to hit us in our wallets too. "Sorry, I know you've saved up all those credits/power nodes for that new space suit or weapon, but we won't let you have that nice shiny upgrade until you hand over some of your hard earned dosh too." Thank God I got that game free as part of the Sim City fiasco.

It's not just Dead Space 3 and Sim City either - NFS Most Wanted was also a frustrating experience. To advance in that game you need to roam around the open world map trying to find new cars which open up new races and allow further progression through the game. After a little while however you come to the sad realisation that all of the best cars you find that you want to drive are not included in the game. No, you have to purchase myriad other DLCs costing more than the base cost of the game itself, and if you don't you will be left to drive around stopping and looking at cars which serve merely as adverts for their DLC, teasing you with their awesomeness while you are left with the less exciting, slower vehicles which make up the base game. If you wanted to buy all of the DLC available for the game, it will run you nearly £70, more than three times the cost of the game itself.

It stinks, and the sooner someone at EA wakes up and smells the s*** they've been putting out the door for the last year or two the less they will be hated by every gamer on the planet.

8. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Is that a Call of Duty Ghosts picture?..

9. Draksis

Draksis New Member

[​IMG]

/Thread

10. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

That. Actions speak louder than words. Instead of this, they maybe should start doing something ASAP.

11. knuck

knuck Hate your face

ditch origin and sell your games on Steam

12. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Why?

13. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Because Steam is light, ubiquitous, flexible and trusted. Unlike Origin.
    And because EA say they want to be liked, and broadly speaking people like Steam but they don't like (or grudgingly put up with) Origin.

14. woof82

woof82 New Member

Not sure Origin haters deserve to be called "whiney cry babies" when the service randomly deleted people's games or accounts and the customer support told them to either shove it or take a $10 discount voucher. Can't play the game you just bought? Oh well, here's a voucher worth a tiny fraction of what you already paid us.

Battlefield had potential to be good, mostly ruined by the community and origin. When I started playing the battlefield series I thought I would be playing a fun team game, in reality it's just one army of Rambo's vs. another. I even pre-ordered BF3. Cancelled my pre-order when Origin came out and have since been boycotting EA.

Sure, Steam had it's fair share of teething issues. But nothing relating to privacy and deleting peoples account and games. Mostly just buggy software that kept crashing and needed constant updating in the days when Valve was small and downloads were slow.

15. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

Exactly... except Steam isn't light at all

17. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

+rep to Digi for the link :thumb:

18. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

YES!