News EA forum ban blocks Dragon Age 2 player

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 11 Mar 2011.

1. oO ASBESTOS Oo

oO ASBESTOS Oo What's a Dremel?

How typical is that.

These games companies make millions from us and when they get critisised they spit the dummy out the pram. EA are w4nk3rs anyway. They take you money with little support or interest once you have purchased. Fifa being another example.

Shame on EA

2. ev1lm1nd666

ev1lm1nd666 What's a Dremel?

Thank god eden games aren't part of EA then, i'd have gotten several lifetime bans by now over TDU2! And besides, isn't EA an American company bound by the same laws that give people the right to free speech? If the forum user is European ( he'd be dealing with EA Europe), and could probably get a case going by claiming that EA has breached his human rights to free speech and freedom of expression.

Would love to see some spotty 16 year old taking em to court though

3. mighty_pirate

mighty_pirate What's a Dremel?

A little excessive perhaps, but if you will break the terms of your user account then you can't complain about a temp ban. And it is just a temp ban, no big whoop.
    Logging into your Bioware a/c for installation seems reasonable & was employed in the first game & ME2 for recognising DLC. So I don't think any part of it should have come as a surprise.

4. eddtox

eddtox Homo Interneticus

Yet another reason why I don't purchase EA's games.

I'm sure BT staff have been accused of selling their soul to the Dennis devil more than once, but I haven't heard of anyone getting banned for it, let alone losing access to their CPC collection.

Vote with your wallet.

5. Tangster

Tangster Butt-kicking for goodness!

Haha. Nobody gives a damn if he can't install dragonage 2 for another few days.

6. dicobalt

dicobalt What's a Dremel?

Sounds to me like they did sell their souls to the EA devil, why else would they be so sensitive about such a topic.

7. thehippoz

thehippoz What's a Dremel?

playing it I keep hearing aveline say 'you silly twit' (probably just in my head).. maybe that pushed him over the edge xD and who is named mr. woo really

8. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

If that's not karma I don't know what is! Funniest thing all morning!

9. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I think it's been a long time coming that people should be held responsible for their actions both on forums and in games. People will soon learn to be polite.

10. Apoptosis

Apoptosis What's a Dremel?

I guess the poster got his answer?

11. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

You are kidding right? There's polite and then there's having the ability to question authority in whatever manner you choose to. Seriously. Getting a game banned for a minority for asking if Company A sold their souls to Company B? How was he rude in that? I think it was a very polite question and one that should be asked , but we're not privy to the details. But so what, the poster who said 'vote with your wallet' is more than right.
    I concede the point about getting a temp forum bann for violating some OTT PC rules, but getting his game banned is beyond rightful action.
    Whenever I hear of something like this I can't help but think of the great philosopher Zack de la Rocha who said, and I quote - "F*ck you, I won't do what you tell me" .

[​IMG]

12. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

The guy goes on a forum run by the developer, calls the publisher (who effectively sets the rules as per smc's quote, rules which the poster has agreed to) the devil and you expect him not to get banned?

It's like going to a restaurant and calling your waitress a fat and ugly cow. Don't expect to get your food any time soon.

Additionally, the poster who said "vote with your wallet" is indeed right. The user who got banned should obviously not have bought the game in the first place if he feels that EA is figuratively the devil.

13. FelixTech

FelixTech Robot

I don't know where the 'devil' (no pun intended!) has entered this argument? While it obvious originates from biblical terms, the phrase "Have you sold your soul to X" is very commonly used to represent any sort of stringent contract (or one where something is sacrificed for additional money).

It seems that in fact Bioware tricked the player into selling his soul to them!

14. leveller

leveller Yeti Sports 2 - 2011 Champion!

I've said before that any dev/pub who does exclusivity deals with MS or Sony as selling their souls, they are in my eyes. Gaming should be about enjoying games. Remember the days when a game was released on Spectrum 48k, C64, Amstrad, BBC, Electron [insert more here]. Gaming used to be about enjoying gaming, now they release games exclusively to make you buy a console you don't already have just to gain access to those exclusives. Anyway what that guy said and what I say are probably unrelated. Should I get banned for my opinion? No. Should he? Not sure, it does sound really harsh, maybe there is more to the guys rantings that we haven't seen.

I would really like to see more community managers take a tougher approach in certain gaming circles to rid the communities of annoying dicks that say things like "**** you crytek you fags, your games are ****" when Crytek upset a few people because they were forced to rush out the PC demo still containing console references. How the hell are the guys at Crytek supposed to feel, or any developer for that matter when they've put in 16 hour days working in an industry they love to put out the best artistic work they can and be slated like that?

15. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

The phrase stems from a Faustian bargain (though Faust made this popular, it could well have been a popular phrase before then) where a person has sold their soul to the biblical devil. Replace the devil with something else and you're comparing the two. Using EA in the saying is implying that they are evil, sinister and wicked just like the devil of the original saying.

16. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

By the way new car sales will start to include a clause stating that the vehicle will become inoperable if you say anything bad about it. Likewise builders are implementing this into homes that will automatically burn to the ground if you say anything bad about the builder.

17. sausages

sausages What's a Dremel?

Yes. I don't care what their eula and stuff says, ^ that is the way it should be.

And also, I'm very short on cash at the moment, so if anyone is genuinely interested in purchasing a soul, my price is quite reasonable.

18. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

There's a biiiiiiiiiig difference between openly insulting a waitress and posting an innocuous off the cuff remark on an Internet forum. Just sayin'.

If you start banning anyone who makes jokes on Internet forums from playing your games, then sooner or later you won't have any customers left at all. However, EA have wised up and realised that this set a dangerous precedent and the amount of media attention the story was getting them wasn't doing them any good, so they have now retracted the ban.

19. Sloth

Sloth #yolo #swag

There's also a big difference between any ol' forum and BioWare community forums. They key being, you insult BioWare or their publishers on the BioWare community forums and they're a whole lot more likely to not take kindly to it. Just like saying Bit-Tech sold their souls to the Dennis Publishing devil likely wouldn't go over too smoothly here, or insulting your waitress in her place of business.

Additionally, it's not a ban from the game for a forum comment, it's a ban from the forum for a forum comment which broke forum rules and was reported. The forum account is then required to play the game, but it's conjecture to say that the ban was done in order to prevent the player from playing the game without EA or BioWare filling in that link. The quote in Bit's article mentions that being blocked from the game is extra incentive to not get forum banned, but doesn't say being banned from the game is a direct punishment.

20. aron311

aron311 What's a Dremel?

Sounds like the answer to the guys original question on the forum was a clear yes. EA has this reputation for a reason and developers when they are bought by EA are basically selling out on all their customers too. They don't even treat their staff very well; why would you want to help a company like that be successful?

Tags: Add Tags