1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Early Look: Asus Rampage II Extreme

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 7 Oct 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

if only we could :)

You'll hear about it all as soon as we can release info

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

You want a review of an immature BIOS that won't represent the final product? :-/ :duh: That's why any "performance numbers" posted to date is likely to be heavily inaccurate once everyone tunes the nuts off their BIOS' in time for the real launch.

3. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

So what is the differences between the P6T Deluxe and the Rampage II Extreme
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/08/21/asus-p6t-deluxe-next-generation-x58-motherb/1
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/10/07/early-look-asus-rampage-ii-extreme/2

It looks like the Rampage II Extreme is basically the same thing but without SAS but with a crappier version of the external pda thing and some instant multimeter slots for noobs like me that would not know otherwise where to get the reading without asking the internets for help.

Also, there has got to be a way to remove those other heatsinks, those of us that want to do crazy cooling have got to be able to do it some how. The bad thing is that if they are really hard to remove other companies might not make aftermarket heat sinks forcing us to custom fab.

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

The reason for the lower voltage is that otherwise you blow up the i7 processor.

Is it me that thinks the pricing of the x58 motherboards is way beyond anything that was before. The MSI Eclipse costs 343 euro, the Asus even more.

According to Intel the core i7 is 52% faster then the core2 quad. Yeah right! probably in 640x480 with all eye candy off, or a synthetic benchmark tool like 3dmark vantage cpu only with quadcore hypert. support.

Well, we see if this is all true when the trustworthy boys at BT do some core i7 benching ;)

The DFI board and gigabyte board looks nice though:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

cinebench:
    [​IMG]

pifast:
    [​IMG]

Gibo benches @ overclockers form:
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=17916507
    So you got a very expensive motherboard, very expensive memory times 3 (triple ddr3) and a expensive processor. It is a win win win situation for all hardware parties. Except the consumer whom, with the current bank/credit crisis, is wisely holding money in the pocket for times to come.

Last edited: 8 Oct 2008
  5. ZERO <ibis>

ZERO <ibis> Minimodder

I have actually been saving up for the release of these parts for a few years. The collapse of our economy is not going to stop me now :wallbash:

On the bright side, at least I will be sure to have one of the best pc's out there b/c no one else can buy them. :duh:

I wonder when the memory manufactures will start coming out with super low latency ram for this thing...

6. sash360

sash360 What's a Dremel?

RAM speed

what is the max ram speed available then? It says max. ram 1800(OC) I assume stands for overclocked, but does that mean a 1333 or a 1066 overclocked to 1800 OR does it simply mean 1800 and that 1800 is overclockable...?

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

1800 = overclocked. The max Intel certify on Core i7 is 1066, but with some overclocking 1800 isn't too difficult. 1600 is quite frankly easy.

Tags: Add Tags