1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A/V Easily switchable audio output?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Autobot, 1 Jun 2009.

1. Autobot

Autobot What's a Dremel?

Hey there folks. I'm setting up my mother's computer to be able to use her 32" LCD TV as a secondary monitor (netflix instant play and other online video usage) and I was wondering if anyone knew of a way to easily switch the audio output from the motherboards onboard audio to the video cards HDMI audio output. I want to make this really simple as she doesn't know much about computers.

I know normally you would go through the control panel and switch the audio output in there, but I feel thats gonna be too difficult for her to do each time and frankly, she won't use it if its a hassle.

PC specs are as follows:
    AMD64 X2 4400
    ASRock ALiveNF6P-VSTA
    Kingston ValueRAM 2 x 512MB PC2 4200
    GIGABYTE GV-R435OC-512I HD4350
    Samsung 20x DVD burner SATA
    WD 80GB SATA
    Windows XP Home edition

Any assistance in this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!!!

2. b5k

b5k What's a Dremel?

I'm no expert but I can make a guess at what might work...But I've got no idea.

Assuming the setting is based off a set of registry values it might just be possible to create a .bat file or some such that executes a registry file which switches the audio controller. Dunno...Just an idea. :)

3. JWoody

JWoody Oh, were they sparks?

In Vista, double click on the "Sound" icon in control panel. you should see your audio options under the playback tab. Just right click the one you want and select "set as default".
    I have a shortcut on the desktop and in quick launch to alternate between Audigy 2 zs (for games) and Spdif out (to my amp).
    Cheers

Oh dear...I just re read your original post, sorry. Maybe the desktop shotcut might help